Thread: multi-cultural
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 01:32 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Well as most of you know, I'm English but live in France with a Dutchman - oh when cultures collide! What fun! DH and I have had many amusing and annoying moments. For eg, the Dutch are quite direct and at first I used to get mad if he'd ask 'why are you chopping carrots like that?' I felt it as a criticism - but that's just the way they ask things. Not a good example maybe but I don't know how else to explain it! And of course between England and America there are some classic howlers like for example a 'fag' to me is a cigarette but to you, I think it's something else! And the front of a car is bonnet and the back, boot - I think you say hood and trunk. And the grocery carts - we call trolleys! I once said to QNC 'cheers big ears' which is just English slang for thanks and she said 'what's with my ears?' LOL And Blue calls everyone 'dude' male and female - I love that! In Ireland, a group of people can be 'lads' ( even girls! I call everyone 'mate' even the dog and cat (!) which is very 'Hampshire' where I was brought up. Vive la difference, I say!