Thread: multi-cultural
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 01:39 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thought of something else - this thread is so interesting! If someone comes to the house - friend or family - and helps clear dishes or puts the kettle on or whatever, I LOVE it - so helpful etc... But Hans hates it and sees it as interference/ criticism that WE should be doing that! THAT'S typical Dutch versus English. The key is communication - that's the only way. Now if he says or does something that I don't get I ask him to explain his motivation and vice versa. You wouldn't think there could be so much difference between two such close countries! Of course, some things are differences between us two as individuals, but there is a national characteristic.

Here in France, I've heard French people say English people are rude, because they don't shake hands or kiss everytime they meet but that's just not NORMAL for us! We just go 'hiya' and that's enough. But the French are much more formal. If I pass the neighour's house and they're in the garden, it's not enough to say 'good morning' and walk on - I have to go in and give them a kiss on each cheek and the kids too. The kids got used very early on to everyone kissing them all the time - even strange old ladies in the supermarket! In the UK, I'd have probably told them to back off but here it's just normal! :D