Thread: machine binding
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Dar-midlife

I think the biggest disadvantage (in addition to it looking nicer) to bringing the back to the front is you only have a single layer of fabric on the edge and that is where they get the most wear. So if you cut a separate binding, fold it in half, sew it on (the back or the front) and bring it around to stitch it down by hand or machine, the edge has a double wear layer and you will be much happier with the end result. If you think the handwork will discourage her, have her sew it onto the back FIRST and bring it to the front and sew it down with either a blanket stitch or a decorative stitch or a straight stich is fine too. Match the bobbin thread to the backing and the top thread to the binding. I despise handwork and do many of my quilts that way. Esp. children's quilts since they get washed often.

check this link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-150738-1.htm

Originally Posted by amyjo
All I do when I make mine is bring the back up over the front and very carefully measure so that it is the same all around and pin. then topstitch. I don't bind mine and I always tie them. I find they are more fluffy and cuddly that way, especially with a flannel back.