Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine binding >

machine binding

machine binding

Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 PM

Is there a tute on how to bind using backing fabric. Or is there such a thing. Taught my sons girlfriend how to sew she is getting frustrated but finished product great with out binding dont know if she would get discouraged hand binding back.

Thanks
Terri
Old 09-05-2011, 06:43 PM

You mean to pull the backing around and sewing it down? I tried that one time and it looked like crap. MUCH easier to go to www.youtube.com and look up "quilt binding".....The method most of us here use is to cut the fabric off, fold in half lengthwise, sew it on the front. Then you pull it around the back and hand sew or machine sew it down. Oh -- and if the quilt is straight sided, just cut the fabric. If the quilt has scalloped or rounded edges, then you have to cut the fabric on the bias.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM

All I do when I make mine is bring the back up over the front and very carefully measure so that it is the same all around and pin. then topstitch. I don't bind mine and I always tie them. I find they are more fluffy and cuddly that way, especially with a flannel back.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

You can do that. But I think some look better with cutting the binding strips.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 PM

I have done quilts both ways...... just depends on the individual quilt.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 PM

I also tried to pull the backing to the front...I hated it...it looked horrible. There are some good videos on how to bind. I found one yesterday that really helped me. Good luck...practive, practice. My daughter inlaw did her first quilt top last week. I am going to put it together and bind. If she makes another one I will teach her to FMQ...than the next one I will show her how to bind...baby steps.
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
You mean to pull the backing around and sewing it down? I tried that one time and it looked like crap. MUCH easier to go to www.youtube.com and look up "quilt binding".....The method most of us here use is to cut the fabric off, fold in half lengthwise, sew it on the front. Then you pull it around the back and hand sew or machine sew it down. Oh -- and if the quilt is straight sided, just cut the fabric. If the quilt has scalloped or rounded edges, then you have to cut the fabric on the bias.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 AM

I think the biggest disadvantage (in addition to it looking nicer) to bringing the back to the front is you only have a single layer of fabric on the edge and that is where they get the most wear. So if you cut a separate binding, fold it in half, sew it on (the back or the front) and bring it around to stitch it down by hand or machine, the edge has a double wear layer and you will be much happier with the end result. If you think the handwork will discourage her, have her sew it onto the back FIRST and bring it to the front and sew it down with either a blanket stitch or a decorative stitch or a straight stich is fine too. Match the bobbin thread to the backing and the top thread to the binding. I despise handwork and do many of my quilts that way. Esp. children's quilts since they get washed often.

check this link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-150738-1.htm

Originally Posted by amyjo
All I do when I make mine is bring the back up over the front and very carefully measure so that it is the same all around and pin. then topstitch. I don't bind mine and I always tie them. I find they are more fluffy and cuddly that way, especially with a flannel back.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Oh my gosh you were all such a great help. Thanks