View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Karen Collins

This weekend I went to my quilting ministry at my church. I use a carrying case for travel (TUTU - I think) and had gotten it out of my car. My sewing room is downstairs so I was putting off returning it there -VERY Heavy- During the day, my DH was helping me clean house and moved the carrier to the top of stairway. Well, it immediately fell down the stairs; hit a table (broke the legs) and finally landed! My artista looked ok upon picking it up - but damage was hidden. It would only sew two stiches, the threading bar - not working, the throat plate knocked off, well, you get the idea! I took her to the doctor yesterday (Atlanta Sewing Center) and found out that it was so damaged, as well as older, that it might be too costly to fixed, and might be used as parts to fix others. I get an estimate on Friday. Before this happened, I had already thought about getting a lighter weight machine for "stow and go" quilting classes, retreats, etc. The end result was that I purchased the new Series 3 (380) Bernina that was much lighter for carrying. All the employees at ASC were helping me determine which machine was lighter and had the same great operating system. If the artista is fixable at a reasonable price, I will keep that for my sewing room and use the new machine for travel. I have been a customer for over 20 years and have always gotten good prices and lots of good service - the same owners are there. So, just wanted to share my story. Has anyone else had any kind of accident with their sewing machine?