View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 06:46 AM
AFQSinc

Originally Posted by Karen Collins
Has anyone else had any kind of accident with their sewing machine?
Many years ago before I purchased my Aurora 440qe my husband bought me a Brother. Even though I knew how to sew I never had my own machine. It was from Costco. Not fancy but it had some decorative stitches and I made drapes on it and my first quilts.

I didn't have a sewing table so I would sew on the kitchen table. I was trying to finish up a project so rather than than take everything down we had dinner in front of the television and I went to finish up after. I stepped away from the table for something which is when the carnage occured:

My husband opened the backdoor (right by the table) to let one of our German Shepherds out. The second one, hating to be left inside ran between my chair and the wall and caught the cord on one of her legs. The machine literally flew out the open door onto the concrete steps. It was a terrible site and even worse sound! I picked it up and tried to bend back the the threader and a couple other parts. I took it in for repair but of course it cost more to repair than a new machine. I was sad but grateful too. If that machine had hit one of the dogs in the head it would have killed them.

When I bought my Bernina I made sure that I had money to purchase a table as well. She stays in the table. I haven't taken any classes so I don't have a travel machine yet but I will not take ANY chances with her. Ever.