Thread: Not warm enough
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 07:50 AM
meemersmom

Originally Posted by jmabby
Originally Posted by meemersmom
Originally Posted by FayZ
I made a quilt for my son and he said he wishes it was a little warmer. I think I used a poly batting. I was wondering if there is a warmer batt or should I double up? FayZ
There is a batting out there called Thermore made by Hobbs. It is just about the same as the old Thinsulate batting that used to be sold. Very warm and lightweight. Just can't use fabric softener when its washed. I use it very frequently. It really comes in handy here in Buffalo in the winter!

Also...I use it with anti-pill fleece for the backing. When I make quilts like this, people tell me its the only covering they need at night when its cold.
Can you tell me why you can't use fabric softner, love the smell of April Fresh.
Just like with Thinsulate and down, warmth depends on the air in between as insulation. Fabric softener coats the fibers, and they don't "fluff up" as much, so less air, less insulation, and less warmth.
Edited to add: I love the smell of Downy, too. To scent something, I put a little bit on a washcloth, get it wet, wring it out, and toss in the dryer for a couple of minutes with the dried quilt/garment. You get the scent, but it doesn't go through all layers, leaving the insulation intact.