Thread: copyright issue
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by bearisgray
just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right
morals is a subjective state without laws its nothing. what some consider moral is not considered that way by everyone.

this is why there are laws and judges to pass the judgement. it is not up to me to decide what is moral to someone else.
I am very aware of that - one of my sons is gay. And what is considered
"moral" at one time in one place, may not be so in another time and another place.

The point of my starting this thread was that so many of the geometric type designs seem to have very ancient origins - and it seems to me that for someone later on to claim that it's original to him is a stretch.

A lot of our "how-to" is learned from others and expanded upon with our own experience -

If I pay for a class - is it wrong for me to show someone else how to do that technique? If I lend or give them the materials, is that okay? It's not being copied.

Is it wrong for a library to lend a book out? If 100 people borrowed it, the author/publishing house only got a royalty payment for one book.

If something seems truly distinctive and/or original, or it's too complicated to try to figure out, I am more than willing to pay for the pattern. I'm not that creative in some areas and it's way too cumbersome to try to re-invent the wheel.