copyright issue >

copyright issue

copyright issue

Old 06-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by bearisgray
The author of the Dear Jane book is DIRECTLY copying the designs of the original book.

And Jane Stickney probably copied some of her designs from some she'd seen elsewhere.

The original Jane has been long dead, Even though the author is giving Jane full credit for the designs - where is the line between homage and plagiarism?

I just think most of the geometric designs have been around for so long, that it is hard to know the "true" source (I happen to think it's the Creator, but that's another line of thought)

and she now has that copyright because of her book.

paula nadelstern was in a lawsuit with, i believe, hilton hotels because they had a rug in houston that looked like her quilt.

hilton's attorney argued that since she used copywritten fabric that her quilt was not protected by that copyright and that the book it was published in did not get permission to use the fabric for commercial (read for profit) use.

they settled out of court which is a shame because i would love to know what a judge thought about the issue.
I bet she would have won. Like the case sited in that link, a store was selling bedding made with Precious Moments fabric. The makers of the fabric sued and lost. You purchase the fabric, you have the right to USE it however you see fit. That doesn't negate your copywrite to your work with that fabric. That is so ridiculous! If a clothing designer purchases a fabric do they then have to give the fabric manufacturer a cut of the sales? I don't think so.

well paula went out and side a contract with benartex and puts out a fabric line (something she never wanted to do in her life) and now she only uses fabrics from her line to do her work.

clearly she was very concerned by this issue.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by bearisgray
just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right
morals is a subjective state without laws its nothing. what some consider moral is not considered that way by everyone.

this is why there are laws and judges to pass the judgement. it is not up to me to decide what is moral to someone else.
I am very aware of that - one of my sons is gay. And what is considered
"moral" at one time in one place, may not be so in another time and another place.

The point of my starting this thread was that so many of the geometric type designs seem to have very ancient origins - and it seems to me that for someone later on to claim that it's original to him is a stretch.

A lot of our "how-to" is learned from others and expanded upon with our own experience -

If I pay for a class - is it wrong for me to show someone else how to do that technique? If I lend or give them the materials, is that okay? It's not being copied.

Is it wrong for a library to lend a book out? If 100 people borrowed it, the author/publishing house only got a royalty payment for one book.

If something seems truly distinctive and/or original, or it's too complicated to try to figure out, I am more than willing to pay for the pattern. I'm not that creative in some areas and it's way too cumbersome to try to re-invent the wheel.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:09 PM

http://thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/1960

"The point of my starting this thread was that so many of the geometric type designs seem to have very ancient origins - and it seems to me that for someone later on to claim that it's original to him is a stretch. "

this is a quote by bearisgray. the above link demonstrates exactly what she is saying. can anyone copyright that? even if they put it in a book? in a quilt? change the colors? puh-leeze. gimme a break.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa T
Hey! I am famous!! I am "Another Poster"!!!! Woohoo! Anyone want my autograph?
Lisa, does that mean you used up your fifteen minutes of fame?
You didn't exactly volunteer...so, wonder if you'll get another shot.
What do you want to be famous for? :roll: :D
Old 06-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
This whole issue is very confusing to me. I guess that as long as I'm not selling anything...they won't lock me up???
Man, am I glad to hear somebody say this! I am a reasonably intelligent person, but I read this stuff, and don't feel like it added much of anything to my understanding.
Maybe, some of us, just find it all, so boring, and I'm not looking to steal anything from anybody...I JUST WANT TO QUILT!!! :cry: sniff, sniff
...Patti, as long as they didn't see us,...they can't prove a thing!
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!:D