Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 AM
NJ Quilter

For me it depends on the recipient and the occassion. I started out decades ago making needlepoint christmas stockings for my nephews/nieces. My one brother - who has 3 children - has never even said thank you. And yet, because I wanted to do the same for all of my siblins, I made a queen sized bed quilt for he and his wife. He was certainly appreciative - SIL, not so much. Now, on the other hand, my other brother with 2/kids have been incredibly effusive in their thanks for the kids stockings as well as the quilt I made for them. To the point where that SIL asked me to make a quilt for my niece's room as it was sooo cold in her room and the quilt I made them was sooo warm! She offered to pay for all the materials and I turned her down. And my Sis and BIL/SIL on the other side are very appreciative. I make quilts to be used - not heirlooms. When it's friends kids for other occassions, I usually give a bought gift appropriate for the occassion. I am, however, making an oversize twin for one son's friend for his HS graduation. I'll do the same for his younger sister in a few years as well.