Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Consideration of effort, and cost  against usefulness >

Consideration of effort, and cost against usefulness

Consideration of effort, and cost against usefulness

Old 09-13-2011, 03:07 AM

Have made quilts for family,but I know colors wanted.Other than that,I don't make quilted "surprises".My Sis doesn't care for home made anything.Doesn't bother me,just saves time & $$$.

A neighbor uses a quilt her Mom made as a car trunk liner.To each their own, but my feeling is,quilts takes so much time & work....I prefer to choose where they go.Often times, they stay home with me :)
Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 AM

I think I have heard of a potato chip bag but it wasn't to put potato chips in. It was a quick bag that was said to be so quick and easy that you couldn't make just one. (Like the old Lays commercial that you couldn't eat just one potato chip).
Old 09-13-2011, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I have made baby quilts for gifts, but I know that the people I have given to are people who will appreciate anything I make for them.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 AM

I always think of the time and $ involved in making a gift. Many people just don't appreciate anything hand crafted. Sometimes it's a whole lot easier to just take a bottle of wine, flowers or a gift certificate. I hate the whole thought of gifts that are not needed or appreciated. I just had this very conversation with my new DIL. Her birthday is this week and I'm just sticking $ in her card. I'm sure that I couldn't pick out clothes for her and I want it right. She was just fine about my choice of gift and why.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:55 AM

Sorry, double post.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 AM

Before I make anything for another person (unless said gift is a surprise) I have to think for a while about the person and their personality and what pattern would be a good fit. If recipient is rather picky with their style, I let them pick a pattern within my range of skills. Then it is time to start picking fabrics and I always try to work in colors that will match the room it is to be used in, or colors that are requested. I never make a gift quilt that suits me, it has to suit the recipient. That way I am assured that it will be used and loved.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 AM

For me it depends on the recipient and the occassion. I started out decades ago making needlepoint christmas stockings for my nephews/nieces. My one brother - who has 3 children - has never even said thank you. And yet, because I wanted to do the same for all of my siblins, I made a queen sized bed quilt for he and his wife. He was certainly appreciative - SIL, not so much. Now, on the other hand, my other brother with 2/kids have been incredibly effusive in their thanks for the kids stockings as well as the quilt I made for them. To the point where that SIL asked me to make a quilt for my niece's room as it was sooo cold in her room and the quilt I made them was sooo warm! She offered to pay for all the materials and I turned her down. And my Sis and BIL/SIL on the other side are very appreciative. I make quilts to be used - not heirlooms. When it's friends kids for other occassions, I usually give a bought gift appropriate for the occassion. I am, however, making an oversize twin for one son's friend for his HS graduation. I'll do the same for his younger sister in a few years as well.