View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 03:07 AM
patricej
Administrator

Pack it last. You may need to retreat once in a while to relieve the pressure of all the other moving tasks.

No way I could leave my sewing room til last once I got to the new place. I'd probably unpack that before I did the kitchen. There's always takeout and drive-thru's. LOL

You probably already know this but the key to unpacking is to resist the temptation to just cram things in wherever they fit when packing. If you haven't already, plan the layout and storage systems for the new sewing room. As you pack here, box and label things according to where in the room you want them to go as you unpack. Prioritize and number the boxes accordingly. List contents in detail on the outside of the boxes. Keep your marker handy the whole time. As you put something in a box, add it to the list right away. Keep and update a separate paper list, too, to remind you what you should be finding as you organize and unpack at the new place. It's better have have more properly organized boxes than to have just a few jampacked with who-knows-what. To keep the smaller boxes from getting lost in the shuffle, consider putting them together inside bigger boxes - again making sure to list the small-box numbers on the outside of the big boxes. Put the smaller boxes into the bigger ones in numerical order.

When you get to the new place, if you have an attack of just-gotta-quilt, you'll be able to go straight to the boxes you really need. No need to unpack the whole room at once. And - since I'm piling on the opinions anyway - leave things in the boxes until you actually need to use them the first time. After a few months, anything still in a box might be a good candidate for a yard sale or charity thrift shop.

Sorry to bore you with a book, and apologize if I've wasted everybody's time reading stuff they've already know for years. It's a work-related habit. I work in a social services agency. We have so many clients who don't know what they're doing, most of us automatically switch into maternal-advice mode even when talking to those who do. Just in case. (ok. not merely a habit. more like a sickness! LOL? :oops: )