Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Storage and organazation?

Dose any body out there, Have any good ideas for storage and organazation? When you sew for a while, you start collecting alot of sewing tools and fabrics, What are some of your ideas on organizing it and storing things?

Cabinets/space savers. You can get them cheap at Target. I have also gotten damaged cabinets from an outlet store that are good quality with dings. Can't beat the price on them. I use the small, plastic milk crate containers that clip together to form shelves to put my fabric in. I also have CD stacks for fabric. I have a table that doubles as an ironing board. It is not the best height so if you have a bad back it is not a good option - but it helps me to make my sewing area more efficient. My sewing table is big enough to hold the large rotary mat. I have shoe racks for fabric. I also have an over the door shelf where I hang backings and larger pieces of fabric. Also, sweater boxes that hang in the closet can hold fabric. My rulers hang on the wall.

For my rotary mat rulers (we all collect several sizes) I bought an inexpensive file folder holder that sits on a dresser I have in my sewing room. There are several slots at staggered heights like steps and I set the rulers in there. Some sit upright and the long ones sit horizontal and I can see all of them. Seems to work for me.
    Now thinking I need the top of that dresser for something else, I have been thinking of the "metal ring" I've seen lately that hangs on a rod like in a closet. With the rulers having the hole punched in them you can put the ring through the hole and then hang it on a rod. I didn't have a rod or closet in my sewing room till last week when I did install one across a doorway that I wasn't using to hang my stackable shelving that I use for fat quarter storage now. That seems to work out well.
    I'll see if I can get a picture in here to show.

stackable hanging shelving
    Name:  Attachment-59872.jpe
Views: 339
Size:  39.7 KB

Ruler storage
    Name:  Attachment-61614.jpe
Views: 252
Size:  44.4 KB

Theresa, thanks for the storage tips, and the pix I will use your idea of the top of the desk plastic holders, so far I just look on the floor of my sewing room to see where I've dropped the ruler!

I have metal storage shelves similiar to the plastic ones pictured, they used to be shelves from a yarn store, I picked them up at a yard sale. I just love them, plus I have shelves on the inside of my closet and a upper shelf across the top. I cut the rod down to half of my closet for hanging pant hangers for my blocks I am working on. Doesn't take up much room and I have hanging space. Also got those rolling carts at Wal mart to store cut scraps and gadgets that I don't want or need everyday. I also have the file things for my rulers, have a banquet sized table that I have under the window, which also has all my mats laid flat and ready to cut at any time and my small ironing table, which is arms length from the sewing table. It works real good. I love my space. If I had a lot of money and could have one built, I would have done the corner space also and built a horse shoe shape that would include my TV, computer sewing machines, and all be on one wall. That would have been my dream but hey I like what I have too.

It works well. Of course I am sure we all have the stackable plactic bins of all sizes, they work great too.

Rita

Thank you so much for all of your great ideas, I have never seen or heard of them before, showing again what precious people quilters are to share their ideas, I'm diffentley into the stackable shelves, and the organizer for the various rulers, I really like the rod idea to. Gosh now I've got to lay out my floor plan and focus on organizing my sewing rm. Yes I wish they would have a contest to win a dream sewing room, Again Thank-U so much,

Backs of doors work well! For years I used a shoe organizer there, and all the little patterns and notions that like to play Run Away And Hide when we need them got their own little labeled spaces. I even used sticky Velcro to close the plastic slots so they wouldn't escape! :lol: One of my best gifts ever is a super-large pegboard mounted on the wall behind the door. All kinds of storage for rulers, hoops and scissors, etc on that. I have a corkboard over the sewing machine to pin up strips of fabric, photos, pictures or orphan blocks for inspiration. Magazines get the shelf closet. The fabric stash stacks nicely in a glass-front antique china cabinet that BF was gonna toss because it was so out of style! I've an overstuffed chair that the largest cutting board slides under nicely. No room for a table...gotta steal the living room floor for major basting projects and the kitchen countertop for ironing. We quilters always find a way!

Theresa...check the office supply stores for metal hoops that clip closed. They're hinged and come in assorted sizes. You could bend a bit of wire to hook over a rod and maybe save a bit of $$$ for fabric!

I have 2 peg boards in my sewing room that I use. The one behind my sewing macine I use for thread, marking tools, scissors and rotary cutter. The other one on the wall behind the door I use for rulers, patterns, quilting stencils and templates.

I have a dresser that has top and bottom drawers and shelves in between. On the shelves I keep plastic shoe boxes filled with buttons, trims and such. I can fit 4 shoe boxes on each shelf.

Judy

Hi, I have pertty much got my sew/quilting room organized. My question is I have (per what the pro's say?) my fabric all organized by color dark to light solid and prints, as best I can - BUT I can't figure how to organize my fabric that has many colors and prints, and some have the same amout of colors, not a dominate color. Any ideas? Thanks, Donna Rae

Do you have lots of those mystery fabrics? I'd let them be their own little fabric world and label them that! You might find you're already doing this with specialty fabric you don't want to mix in ... Christmas, Halloween, whatever. :!:

Leslee, I like that idea! I think I already kind of do it, but just thought I was not seeing the colors like I should. Thanks.

I organize fabric primarily by color for the solids/tonals. I also have individual groups of certain fabric lines (you know, stuff like Mistletow Manor, Moda Bound for the Prairie, Kaufman Antique Rose, stuff like that). I also have baby fabrics in a group, reproduction stuff in a group, a novelty stack, an asian stack, a holiday stack.

HI, okay I am on the right track then. I have all xmas together and themes together, panels together, and those mstery fabrics so them and all the rest will be call other world and they shall all be together. :D

Boy, everyone is a little more organized than me! You must have kids that are married and moved out. I am newly married, no kids, working on a degree and have a small house!

I have a baker's rack (just a storage shelf really) that I store shoe box size plastic bins with ribbon, serger scraps, threads, laces, trims, quilting rulers, rotary cutters, pattern tracers, etc., the small stuff. I have 4 of those nut & bolt organizers for buttons and smaller notions like snap pliers. Unfortunately since my husband's workshop takes priority (we're slowly remodeling our house) my fabric is housed in totes in the basement along with my patterns & UFO's while my sewing machine and serger are upstairs. This housing of the UFO's really helps with the guilt - out of sight out of mind. :)

UFO - unfinished object! :lol:

HEE HEE, My room has been in the makings for over 2 years now, and it still is not all organized. I wonder if it ever will be. I realy don't have any UFO's. Havent been quilting that long, so am going to try to take if from alot of quilters and finish what I start. Probably never happen but I will try. :roll:

Hi Becky :!: Thanks for starting this one, got some more good ideas.I found a hanging/fold down ironing board at a thrift store for back of my door; have (3) 5' L shelves up-high enough to walk under-low enough to reach for stacks of fabric: have everything-else-craft in narrow tall bookcase on (opposite) side of rm from my anything-quilting stuff: keep my rotary cutters in eyeglass cases when not in use: brought hm copy paper boxes from the office, cut down to half height/lids still fit, and can store 20 of those under my bed!-all marked so I can just pull out what I want to pick through ... cottons/blends/denim,etc: I examine closely pizza boxes-if not greasy- I wash out-to be sure,- let dry well, line with new,clean paper...you can put a cut but not sewn yet project in them or fabrics/ideas/how-tos for a project you're thinking about & they stack great; I am looking for used ping pong table to have 1 side down-other up the wall till I want to use-I use a gateleg now but want larger & don't have the space in my master bdrm to have it up all the time; had tacked up a piece of backing for a quick design wall that I now have put on a throw-away white wipe-off board from work-it hangs nicely on metal grommets-have enough of the backing left I am looking for an old large junk photo frame so I can make another stand-up model for on my work table; I use an old small clothes hamper to stand up store my batting rolls; still have things that need solutions, definitely going to add a file folder stand for rulers & mats!, am a quilting newbie but with all of us sharing we can make "our" place one way or another, right? Betty 8)

Betty

Thanks, so much for your ideas, you have alot of good ones, I really like the pizza box idea, and a couple of others. Girl you got it together, Right now what I use for my fabric, is I turned a tall bk-case on it's side, removed the back of the bk-case, and stack my fabric by colors in it. Plus i got the side,(which is now the top to use as added space, I'd really like to get another Bk-case to set on it's side on top of the other one. The shelves act as slots to keep my fabric nice and neat. I'm one of those people that if I don't see it I forget I have it. I really like to have it out in front of me.I still want to get one of those drop down ironing boards. I bought a lrg white 3-ring nt-book binder, I bought about 3pkgs of sheet protectors, and I keep my applique patterns,drawings,and ideas in that, I write on the front of the sheet protector with black marker, whats inside.But I still have aways to go. Thanks Becky

Boo
    I like the idea of the bookcases on their sides. These are the wooden ones, right? Wonder how many I can afford? I wouldn't need to remove the backs, as I would put against a wall. Oh my mind is reeling with excitement. Santa, please hear me. I really need these! I promise to be good next year.

I discovered quite by accident that I could use my old bread machine slicing guide to hold my rulers in an upright position. After discovering that I went to a couple of local thrift stores and found them for $.50. It sure beats the $20.00+ for the wood ones and it holds a lot more. I have so many rulers I need to go get some more. I went to a bazaar at church the other day and saw a holder by Pampered chef made of wood that holds the pan lids so I told the sales rep to mention it to the quilters. I have not had any problems with them warping either.

I've fallen in love with the plastic drawer type things. I usually buy them on sale in the late summer when the collage students come back to town. With the clear drawers I can see thru to find which drawer I want. I divide my fabic by color, for the stuff with too many colors I go by "topic" I have a drawer for Christmas, cats, flowers, bugs, boy stuff, food....and on. I have a lot of drawers. But I have to keep the fleece and flannel seperate from the rest. Don't really know why I do that. I love to buy ribbon, but finding a place got easy when I started buying those big hat boxes. They look nice stacked on a bookshelf and hold lots of ribbon. One has a Christmas scene and has Christmas ribbon in it. A fancy flower one was great for wedding type ribbon and a fun color box was great for a mix of colors.
    Surprised as I was, my husband bought me a Craftsman workbench for my craft room. He about died when he found out how much I love it. The height is perfect for "Man type stuff" but great for cutting and just playing with projects...no more back pain!!! And it has these wonderful huge drawers with plenty of space to hide my M&M's. They even put these little holes along the side (I guess for man type tools) I just hang my scissors in them. My poor husband, I girlfied his find. I've noticed...he's been hiding his wirecutters and hammer from me lately....and I don't remember the last time he trusted me with the drill...maybe he's scared??

I was wondering. Alot of you keep mentioning storing your fabric in plastic drewers and containers. I have read at different web sites that you should not keep your fabric in plastic. I still have a lot of mine in containers and drawers and have been slowly changing to what I can not keep on all my shelves (and I have a lot of shelves) to boxes. Any thoughts? Thanks

Hi Boo
    Do you have in your area any Big Lots or Job Lots stores? I bought my shelves there at a very affordable price and they have them in different sizes and finishes. Wal-Mart also has them. I bought at Big Lots floor Otte light lamps for $29.00! Actually I think they are called Easy Reading. When I went to their site I found they are the makers of the Otte lights. I bought also at JoAnns (with 50% coupon off) a great cutting table with draws on one side and a door with shelves on the other; it has two “wings” that can stay up or be lowered against the sides. I bought some 3M hooks and I have my big rulers and squares hanging on them. My rotary cutters, scissors, pencils and pens are in a basket with slots for forks, spoons and knives. And one more thing: file cabinets are great to store fabric. Just have to fold them to the size and place them standing up in the draws. I used 2 of those for a long time with a door on top to make a table. I guess with all these ideas we all will have the perfect studios! Just one question: What about the time to organize everything????
    Lucia

I forgot to tell that, for a long time I had a “movable” flannel wall. I bought 2 yd of white felt and made a sleeve on top to insert a rod. I used a long cord tied to the ends to hang the wall on the dining room. When I had to put it away, I just rolled carefully with the project inside.
    Lucia

hi all,

I just re-did my sewing room last spring. -- Ran out of room for fabic as I'm sure you all understand. I got used kitchen cabs for $100, used the uppers for the lower section and cut a hole to drop in the machine. the counter height cabs I set up for the cutting area. I even got a bench seat that fits perfectly under the windows out of an oven cab that I cut up. I wrapped plywood with vinyl (on sale for a buck/yd - hideous, but i used the back) for the counter. I managed to do the whole thing (paint, drapes, pillows and storage) for under $200!! I love it! The plywood was easy to cut and cover, the mats and fabric stayed put on the vinyl and I could just wipe them down.

Ironically, two weeks after I finished the installation, I got brand new formica counters for free from work - wrong color delivered and they were gonna be tossed out. They fit the cabinet layout perfectly and look great, but were a pain to cut for the machine and VERY heavy. in some ways i miss the old ones, but don't regret the investment for a second.

good luck with your holiday projects!
    kdt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast