Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Storage and organazation?

Hi Becky/all,
    What great ideas! The pizza box idea was not original, I saw it somewhere &just adopted it as it is a space saver plus whatís in it doesnít get all knocked around or wrinkled or whatever. Donít know about having it together at all, just try to figure out the problem & what might work to solve it. I also am really loving that bookcase idea. It could fit in the space my standing up ironing board had before I found the used $4 door mount one that folds up when not used. Going to use the bread slicing/pot lids storage too, I also can find them for 50 cents at a thrift. Donna, I too have read about not storing in plastic. If I do, in baggies, I never seal up because of that. It is supposed to be because cotton is a natural fiber and needs to breathe they say. I also am such a newbie I donít have any UFOs & had pretty much decided to listen to those with long experience to finish what you start. Have managed to so far but my head is so full of ideas it is really hard not to give this or that a try. Lucia that is a great price for a floor otte light,will have to go check it out. Sometimes I feel like I canít turn on enough lights sometimes! And arenít those 50% Joanns coupons the greatest? We all love those. I donít know about perfect studios but I was determined to have a space I could work & not have to put anything away after till the next time. I have found I got the time to organize by only looking at the idea I had at the moment, looking at the whole doesnít work & seems impossible, so I have been able to chip away at it a bit at a time. 77Mercedes, sounds like you have my kind of work place, I canít believe what they throw out. I take it all & have been able to adapt much for my area. I stumbled on the copy paper box thing when I was at a dollar store picking up plastic storage boxes, just kinda hit me that I bet I could use those boxes, just resize them by cutting down, it sure worked for me & the price was right! We all have such wonderful ideas & in sharing itís just the best. Keep em coming!! 8) Betty

Wow, what great ideas! I've got to come back to this thread when I have more time to read. We have a small 4 room house. My sewing area is one wall of a combination spare BR, and computer corner. My husband has put up shelves on the wall next to my sewing machine. These hold many clear shoe boxes filled with stuff I use. I also have shoe boxes on a shelf in the closet but they have to share the shelf with other things. I utilize under the bed storage also. I read somewhere recently that pant/skirt hangers are good ways to manage your cutting boards. They don't take up much room hanging in the closet. So far that has worked for me.

Judyjo

Hi all. What Betty wrote about having projects out in the open and not having to constantly put away what you're working on is oh-so true. Even the sewing machine; my little Betsy has to sit on top of her cabinet, uncovered, and giving me tempting come-hither looks! Quilting is an art, and like any art form we need to have space to call our own where we can just let the creative juices flow! I'm amazed at all the storage tips you've all shared, and want to say thanks to all for sharing their studios, large and small alike! Keep the tips coming :thumbup:

Betty

Where can you get the used cabinets?Can you suggest some places?As far as my bk-cases I got them at target, tall white ones, No they where'nt much at all. I had never heard about the plastic thing, Altho it makes sense, thanks for the info. I have alot of books to, so I'm going to have to go through them to. And just slimply break down and buy some book cases for them to. Again thanks for the info, appreciate your time.
    Becky

Hi Becky, It was 77Mercedes who was writing about used cabinets. If I were going to try to get some, at least in my area, there are so many people rehab-ing/redecorating their homes that I would watch my local little classifieds-type papers. Many people when they do their kitchens over will put their used cabinets up for sale to see if they can recoop some of their costs. Unless they are practically still new they are usually pretty inexpensive. If you have a Habitat for Humanity store nearby, which I luckily do, they have all sorts of building supplies they sell, my store always seem to have many cabinets. Other than that I would not know anywhere else to look. If you keep a mental "shopping" list when around different places you would be surprised what you practically accidently stumble across. I have come across drastically marked down cabinets, odd ones, maybe some scratches, being cleared out at Home Depot,Lowe's kind of places, but you can't depend on just going there and finding any. It is hit or miss.Good luck with your hunt. 8) Betty

Thanks for the info on where to look for the used cabinets. My husband works for Cobb Habitat, here in Ga. I'll now be buggin him for the cabinets. But your so right about a hit and miss type thing. I'm a big yard sale person and I can't tell you how much fabric I've been able to accumilate thru yard sales. But I always try to focus on things I'm looking for, but alway look for fabric, Right now the weather is'nt permitting for yard sales, so as soon as Christmas is over, like on New Years day I start thinking SPRING. So I usally start a Spring type quilt to help meander the days away till warmer weather permits me to start my yard sale searches.Now this spring your thoughtful suggestions I have a new list to start with. In fact I think I'm going to post a question on the board, to see what other quilters think about yard sales and their finds.

Until I finished my basement, my bookcase was made of concrete blocks and whith white laminated shelves that I bought at Home Depot. They were very strong and I would still have them if we did not have so many technical books in the attic. I just recommend placing them against a wall, to make sure nobody gets hurt. This concrete blocks have some openings that I use to place stuff, like CDs. The shelves will warp a little bit, but once in a while I would dust all the books and turn the shelves up side down. Even my sound system was placed there. They work really well.
    Lucia

Hi Becky, Your hubby works at a Habitat store?!.... :mrgreen: What a lucky girl you are. That man needs a list.....tell him, if you have something that is this size and would do this, call me so I can come look at it. I don't yard sale much, if I have a navigator with me I might once in awhile but one of my pet peeves is to get behind someone who is looking at someones' yard, not the road and just totally forgets about driving, so I tend to not do it myself. I know! You just get caught up in the moment. I have gotten a lot of new fabric at Hospice Thrift, I expect some poor souls' stash that the family donates after they pass. Or at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores. I sometimes think of it as someone else is determining what will be in my stash. LOL Makes for a lot of variety though. It's like a treasure hunt as you never know what is waiting for you there that day. I got an old beat up singer box with the lid hanging off for $4 that was chock full of different plates and feet. Most of which I don't even know what they do but they all go on my machine so will test and find out. Hospice is one of my favorite thrifts as it is the older folks, present company included, that have kept on sewing and crafting over the years and have the neatest little gadgets. Have also found some of the oddest, no longer made kitchen tools that way, old cookie cutters, which I now understand are a collectible. Their families just pitch them out, which I kinda find sad. As for waiting for Spring, I hate to be one of those Floridians but we don't necessarily have to do that here. O, another source is your local senior center for yard sales, thrifts, too. Happy hunting. 8) Betty

Hi Lucia. Yes, cinder blocks, wood planks and milk cartons. The college students staples since the 60's. You can't beat them, indestructible. A basement is something I really miss being in FL. I would be in heaven and in a totally dedicated sewing room if I had one, but no sense in going there, not going to ever happen. I had considered converting my garage to a year round space but besides the expense it would be a huge hassle. So I just keep stealing inches in my master bedroom and being content with that. You are so lucky you got your space when you finished your basement. Enjoy. 8) Betty

Betty

No he dosen't work for the store, He works for the organzation, He's in charge of different site's that are building the homes, But he runs their warehouse as well. They are fixin to expand next year to 2 other counties. And when they have to reposess a habitat home alot of times they have to replace fixtures and renovate, So now I know that they sometimes have to take out cabinets, Which they throw away anyway. I'll tell him to throw them my way. HE HE HE, Thanks

I probably go to more trouble than I should!
    I bought 6' high, with 5 shelves, bookcases from Walmart to store my stash.
    I use my 2-thread serger set-up and serge both cut ends of each piece of fabric ( I usually buy 3 to 5 yds of fabric).
    I then wash and dry the fabric with no loose threads to untangle.
    After pressing my fabric, I fold selvedge to selvedge.
    I have a piece of thin board cut 11 1/2" wide x 24" long. Plexi-glass works nice, you will need something that is smooth.
    I start at the very edge of the board and wrap the fabric carefully around the board. I then pull the board out and am on to the next piece.
    When I pick up a folded piece of fabric I know exactly how much yardage I have by counting the folds. I use 11 1/2" instead of 12" to allow for wrap on the edges.
    Joyce

My husband, who is the handy, dandy around the house, built me a huge shelf in our art and quilting "studio" in basement area. It's 55"x38", attached to the wall with 2x4's at an angle. Don't have to worry about legs getting in the way of chair. It's high enough for my arms to be at 45 degree angle. Have chair that rolls and is able to be raised or lowered so that I can turn and move to my cutting and ironing table. He covered top with white melamine and really nice wood edging on 3 sides. Also made indentation for my Viking so that it is level with table top. When not in use, I cover with one that came with machine. Have metal shelving with huge stacking drawers from Walmart to hold my projects, stash, books, etc. Cost?...about $15-20.00+ shelving and took about 3 hrs. to put together! Sure beats $500.00 or more for just cabinet alone.

Becky, All I can say is lucky lucky lucky lady. lol 8) Betty

Joyce, You have really got it together. I don't think you do too much. If you can do something up front to avoid problems down the road it is a timesaver in the long run. I don't have a serger but would do what you described if I did. Best I can do is pink all the edges and minimize the raveling threads. 8) Betty

Thanks, Becky, I think so, too! By the way, he told me it was $86.00, not $15.00 or $20.00. Mr. Precise!! Everything was purchased at Lowe's.

ooops, sorry Betty!

hi,
    i found my cabinets on craigs list, but i have used ebay as well. you can search locally on both sites. i get a local "shoppers guide" that lists furniture, etc by personal sellers. and, my local lumber yard usually has specials on their sample displays. you can ask if/when they're planning to replace them and check regularly! (i missed an entire oak kitchen for $300. b/c i forgot my cc!) as you can imagine, they go FAST. it may take some time, but it's well worth it.

well, back to my projects! good luck! ...and good holidays!!

Hi Becky, I saw your question about organization in Nov.one of the things i do when i press my fabric i hang the fabric on slacks hanger, so when you need a certain fabric you only have to iron the little crease out of it if there is one.also to help out with projects that you have in mind it may help to iron all your fabric one day,cut the next then sew until you're tired, this is stress relief for me. hope i help lol

Annette

Annette
    Good idea..... As I was reading your idea, it came to me that sometimes I'll spend a couple of hours just trying to decide what fabrics, mainly dealing with what colors to use together, then I'll lose track when I have to leave for awhile and tend to other things. But in reading your post, it came yo me if I make note as I go and use the pant hangers to keep them together, I won't lose track and I'm keeping all the fabrics together. Thanks, for switching on my LIGHT BULB. Sometimes my watts get low.

I have limited space. I bought one of the 4 shelf plastic shelf units and put 2 sheves back to back under 1/2 of my Grace quilting frame then I got one of the 3 drawer chest (with the deep drawers) and put it under the other side of the frame. Nothing like making use of every empty space.

I keep all my PIGS , UFO's ,and WIP here always handy if I decide to swicth projects. Some are kept in the plastic shoe boxes and some in the larger type. I fit 6 boxes on each shelf.

I put the larger unfinished top ect. folded in the 3 drawer chest. On the wall near the frame I put in hooks and that is where all the rulers and mats are kept evrything is handy and close by.

All my little gadgets, cutter sisscors and things are in one of those mini 3 drawer thingys.

Need more room need to kick a kid out so I can take over his bedroom. LOL. Can't kick out my Dad son the son will have to go.

Banned
    You're all making me jealous, my quilting supplies have over run the RV! I have 4 of those Rubbermaid 3 drawer units, in the closet, but they're taking up way too much room and have to go. My favorite storage solution so far has been 7 wonderful baskets I picked up at Wal-Mart, that I keep threads and stuff in, on top of our RV slides.

I have some pictures of my various storage "solutions" on my website, but I'm afraid I'm in serious need of help! :mrgreen:

http://www.tinkletimes.com/display/S...alleryId=46781

Good after noon Becky, so glad my little idea help. Your watts aren't low ,we all need a little help with this great hobby.
    Annette

I'm new to the world of quilting and don't have alot of ideas like you all do,
    but have just come up with one floor space saver.
    I bought an "over the door" ironing board. It folds back up out of the way when I'm finished with it.
    I have a small house, and limited floor space...I must find organization helps in any crafting that I do.
    Another project that I'm going to do is install shelves on a small section of a wall in my sewing/craft room.
    I got the equipment to do it at Lowe's.
    I can put my fabrics and other supplies there.
    This will be from ceiling to the floor. Will give alot of storage space.

Oh! I thought I was the only one that had enough unfinished projects that I have to store them! :-o

As to storage, I use the large metal shelving which I purchased from Sam's Wholesale club. I stack my sewing notions, fabric, etc. in boxes that fit the way I fold the fabric and stack on shelves. I have my fabric organized by color, textures, and type. I label each box as to the contents. I live in a four room 1930's house so space is a premium. I use 3-drawer storage drawers on wheels which I roll under my sewing table. I plan to install the peg board for other storage needs. I currently have a large bulletin board hung to the right of my sewing table for my ideas, squares, etc. I have an ironing pad which I store also under my sewing table which I whip out and spread on tope of my sewing/cut out table. I often use my 6' long kitchen table for larger cutting projects.

I am in to so many different mediums I have quite a bit to store. Though I have very little space, I try to keep all organized so as to have a walking space in my sewing room. But, I use time I want to be sewing or quilting to organize but at least I have a sewing room now!!!

Cathy: Good ideas. Your idea about the wall shelving caused me to remember a wall beside a doorway in which I could install shelving (8") for small boxes of notions. Hmmmm. Can hardly wait to get back home to install them - currently on assignment.

These small houses are a challenge when one is a collector!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast