Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Storage and organazation?

I don't have alot of space either. I have a gGrace quilting frame so it took alot of avaiable room. I bought on the the plastic 4 shelf units and put 2 shelves together and put them under my frame back to back. they hold 24 plastic shoe boxes in those I keep project with lables and whaterver pertains to that project.

Then I bought 2 of the Deep 3 drawer plactic storage units they are side by side under the other side of the frame. It holds a good amount of fabric and I labled the drawers so I know at a glance whats in them.

Then under one corner is a 120 spool thread rack . and a large woven basket that hold on EQ books and some patterns.

I have my emboridery machine on a small rolling tv cart and that gives me some more storage on the 2 shelves in that.

I'm into "different" types of crafting also.
    I do woodworking, tolepainting, cross stitching, crochet, and now
    getting interested in making quilts.
    And with a small house....I am overrun with crafting.
    I'm a single person tho.....probably only thing that has saved me.
    If I had a husband, we probably couldn't live together.

Hi Cathy and all;
    Was just reading all the letters on where everyone "stashes" their supplies and said something to my husband aboiut me not being the only one with a ton of stuff. He reminded me of what I said a few years ago,
    "If I ever decided to run away from home I would need a semi cause I am not leaving my stuff here"! And right now my room looks like we had an explosion and no one picked up yet. Every thing had to be moved to put in heating system, (now we can even go away over nite and not worry about the wood stoves going out.
    LOL So decided it is a good time to pass on those things that I am not going to be able to do anymore. Have grands that are all into different things so that is nice.
    Good luck to all and don't forget---under the bed---behind the couch... LOL
    Imak

Cathy,
    I got a chuckle from your last comment. I have a husband and read your comments to him and suggested he should probably go find himself his own house. He laughed too. No, he's not following through!

My best discovery was putting a shower tension rod in my sewing room. I now hang the fabrics that I'm using on hangers on the rod. This way the fabric stays neat and close at hand. I have a small cutting table and had no room to put the extra fabric pieces. It was driving me crazy but no more!

It's the little things that help maintain our sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne
    Cathy,
    I got a chuckly from your last comment. I have a husband and read your comments to him and suggested he should probably go find himself his own house. He laughed too. No, he's not following through!

My best discovery was putting a shower tension rod in my sewing room. I now hang the fabrics that I'm using on hangers on the rod. This way the fabric stays neat and close at hand. I have a small cutting table and had no room to put the extra fabric pieces. It was driving me crazy but no more!

It's the little things that help maintain our sanity!
    lol

Hey, guys, here's another idea I came up with years ago, when I was doing just some small sewing/craft projects.
    My sewing box was never big enough and things were getting misplaced, lost, etc.

I went to WalMart and bought the biggest fishing tool box they had.
    The top opens and folds out.....has all those little spaces for all your sewing tools, notions, etc. That was a good idea, I've never regretted that.

Boo
    Great ideas here! One of the big decisions I made recently, was to donate all the fabric in my stash that I know I will never use. After being a collector for many many years, it is obvious to me that this part of my stash is nothing more than volume. I always said I was in the race to die with the most and win. Six years ago I began collecting quality fabric, and 4 years ago started working for fabric at the LQS. There is no way my original fabric stash will ever be used and that is such a waste. Many wonderful groups donate time and love in making quilts for those in need of the healing power they provide. I guess my priorities changed. Hope this doesn't mean I am growing up! :lol:
    Consider giving your probably never to be used fabric a chance to make a difference in someone elses life. There is a child, a chemo patient, a soldier, someone homeless or cold, who would benefit from your gift. The reward to you? Well more space to keep collecting, of course. :wink:

Cathy,
    When I was a child I had a big cardboard box in my closet as my sewing box. It was FULL. When my father lost his hand saw and framing square, we finally found it in my sewing box. How could it have gotten there?? :shock: Now, in my sewing room, my husband looks for his tools in there first, and usually finds them. I can hardly get in there. I guess I need a sewing barn. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Norah
    Cathy,
    When I was a child I had a big cardboard box in my closet as my sewing box. It was FULL. When my father lost his hand saw and framing square, we finally found it in my sewing box. How could it have gotten there?? :shock: Now, in my sewing room, my husband looks for his tools in there first, and usually finds them. I can hardly get in there. I guess I need a sewing barn. :roll:

:lol:

Boy this thread is very active right now!! :lol: Everyone must be trying to clean up and straighten out their STUFF! I was able to clean out quite a bit of stuff when I discovered that quite a few of my plastic boxes were filled with craft stuff for when the grandchildren came to visit. Since they don't use these things anymore it all went to the thrift shop at my church and freed up some plastic boxes for my stuff. I even have 2 empty boxes! :lol: Your ideas for old fabric are great Boo and I will keep that in mind. We have a lot of quilters at church. But I found another use that works for me. I use the unwanted fabric as foundation for my string quilting and also use it for the back side of the sandwich I make for a quilted pillow cover. It doesn't show when it's on the pillow. I've also used unwanted fabric for the back of the sandwich for my quilted bags. Once the lining is added you don't see it (I prefer lining a bag like you would a coat or jacket).

judjo

I am in serious trouble!!! I have a chest of drawers in a closet and it is full :lol: Lots of fabric in same closet on the shelf. Plastic chest full of paper patterns off the internet and a cedar chest that is full. was give lots of fabric when we had a church guild and no one else wanted it. Then the wife of a co worker gave me several large garbage bags full of fabric. I hate to get rid of it cause I will retire in 2 years and won't be able to buy much after that. I guess this weekend will be staighten the closet weekend :D Don't know if a weekend will be long enough. I get to pulling it out to straighten it and don't get very far after that---get to dreaming about using this piece or that in a quilt :!: I need prayers and lots of them to help me get organized! :)

I send prayers that you will stay focused. I know it's hard when all this fabric is around and your mind wanders on what you could do with this one or that one. Your juices get going and it's hard, Keep me in your warm thoughts ladies, I'm getting ready to move and I'm really having a hard time, packing up my sewing rm. I know once it's packed up. I'm not going to be able to get to my sewing, untill we're moved and close to unpacked. And it will be the last room I get to, as far as getting setup in the new house, And if I don't make a few stitches everyday I really get unraveled. And now I'll have to reorganize everything, I'm frustrated already, and we've got 2 wks before the move.

Blog Entries
    Pack it last. You may need to retreat once in a while to relieve the pressure of all the other moving tasks.

No way I could leave my sewing room til last once I got to the new place. I'd probably unpack that before I did the kitchen. There's always takeout and drive-thru's. LOL

You probably already know this but the key to unpacking is to resist the temptation to just cram things in wherever they fit when packing. If you haven't already, plan the layout and storage systems for the new sewing room. As you pack here, box and label things according to where in the room you want them to go as you unpack. Prioritize and number the boxes accordingly. List contents in detail on the outside of the boxes. Keep your marker handy the whole time. As you put something in a box, add it to the list right away. Keep and update a separate paper list, too, to remind you what you should be finding as you organize and unpack at the new place. It's better have have more properly organized boxes than to have just a few jampacked with who-knows-what. To keep the smaller boxes from getting lost in the shuffle, consider putting them together inside bigger boxes - again making sure to list the small-box numbers on the outside of the big boxes. Put the smaller boxes into the bigger ones in numerical order.

When you get to the new place, if you have an attack of just-gotta-quilt, you'll be able to go straight to the boxes you really need. No need to unpack the whole room at once. And - since I'm piling on the opinions anyway - leave things in the boxes until you actually need to use them the first time. After a few months, anything still in a box might be a good candidate for a yard sale or charity thrift shop.

Sorry to bore you with a book, and apologize if I've wasted everybody's time reading stuff they've already know for years. It's a work-related habit. I work in a social services agency. We have so many clients who don't know what they're doing, most of us automatically switch into maternal-advice mode even when talking to those who do. Just in case. (ok. not merely a habit. more like a sickness! LOL? :oops: )

Whew! I'm out of breath just reading. LOL Sure glad I'm not moving, that sounds like a lot of work. However I'm married to Mr. Clean and we are cleaning out our attic and doing exactly that. Everything is going into plastic containers with a lable of everything that's in it. We've only been in the house for 5 years so it's not really packed full with junk. This past weekend my daughters were down and one of them wanted a shirt that was hers as a child so she could put it on her baby and take a picture. I was able to tell her exactly which box to look in. She said WOW I've never seen an attic like this, so then everybody had to go look. Now I'm out of breath again. LOL
    kathy

Becky
    I am a sewing addict who has moved alot, and I know what you mean about sewing every day. What I recommend is cutting out a project and putting it in a bag. I prefer a hand project when I am traveling, of course, but if you will have access to your machine...... With all the different fabrics already cut, it really doesn't take much room to keep a project handy. I put in my scissors, thimble, needle and thread, and any marking tools I might need. I have a yoyo quilt that I take when I go to the Dr. or something. I can fit everything I need for a day or two in a sandwich bag. Good luck on you move.

Patrice,Kathy, Norah,

What GEMS, you are. I appreciate you so much, Your words of wisdom, experience, and just down right Caring, helps me to not feel so anxious and in a tither. In fact my daughter-n-law just called me to say that she was going to help me move my sewing room, because she knows how important it is to me, and getting everything in the right place. ( I taught my sons to marry smart) And they married some real special ladies. I'm blessed that they like me. But thank-you and I'm using your well organized advice.

I am so glad I found the gtoup I am fix to move to my DH is fixing my sew room now and we are useing some hint I saw this morning take a book shelf put it to top room to put farber on THANK YOU I well read this all way it is great Neva

Neva
    Happy moving and take care, be careful.

Good luck to all who are moving. I will etire in 2 years and be facing the same thing myself. Bes of luck!

Becky,
    You've already got some wonderful words of wisdom here but I'll add my two cents worth also.

My daughter married a military man and they move every two years or so. A wise woman told her to fill one box with everything she will need right away and label it to be unpacked first. In this box she puts enough dishes, flatware, pans, bedding, clothes etc. that they will need for those first days after the move. This has been a sanity saver for her and I think it can be adapted to the sewing room!

When we go on a trip I always plan a project of handwork to take with me. It keeps me occupied on the plane and in the hotel. I think moving would be a good time to do a handwork project.

Have a safe move. Unpack a little, sit down and stitch a little and then you'll be ready to unpack another little. :lol: You'll be done before you know it!

What great ideas you all have! I used the method of marking boxes, etc that someone mentioned and it really worked out well when we retired and moved from a 9 room house to a 4 room house. I'm only missing one thing. That is a photo album from high school days which I know I packed. After 11 years here it still hasn't surfaced. I know it's down cellar somewhere in my husband's mess!! I'm never moving again!!! I keep hand projects ready too for visits to the doctor, traveling, etc. But you all had so many more ideas, as well. What a group we have!! It's so nice to be able to share ideas.

judyjo

This may be late, but I just received this bulletin on storing our stash of fabrics. Some of the ideas presented here make a lot of sense. The suggestion to protect fabric from the light (fading) was something I had never though of. And of course many women store their stash on open shelves, much like a display! Perhaps you will find her hints helful.

http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/070-qow.jsp

She offers a weekly newsletter with various infirmation.

June

I am fortunate to have a large area in our finished basement that has a window for light. I have attached a magnetic bar (a kitchen item used for knives) to the wall, and all of my scissors and other tools that will fit are hanging there. I have a large kitchen table that accommodates both of my sewing machines with room to set a cutting mat as well. I have stacking drawers and shelves with doors and a cubby hole shoe organizer on top where all of my fat quarters and small fabric pieces are organized by color. My rotary mats hang on the wall. I purchased cardboard file boxes from an office supply where I also store my yarns, large cuts of fabrics, etc., and these are stacked in my storage room near where my sewing area is set up.

you all sure have some good ideas. i have a hard time staying organized and if i put equipment in boxes where i can't see what i need, i make a real mess when i am looking for something. so i picked up an over the door shoe holder, the cheapest i could find. i can see everything,it is right by my machine, and it takes up almost no space.
    no more lost equipment, i can see at a glance just what i need. it has helped me a lot and i no longer spend time trying to find that certain tool that i think is in this box... no maybe that box...
    Attached Images Attached Images

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    What a great idea to use the see through hanging shoe holder nanabirdmo! i havent got many things yet and dont have a dedicated sewing area so your idea is perfect! I feel your pain ladies that have to move and pack as we have just finished renovating our main living areas and after 4 weeks of dust AND not being able to sew we have finally finished tonight!! i am so looking forward to my spending my time sewing again. :lol:

OK don't laugh, but I started organizing my craft room two years ago. It's stile not done all because I couldn't find this one sweater pattern that I wanted to make. I've got things pretty much in plastic boxes, fabric sits on the shelves, by color. One day my daughters told me I should get a table for my room to work at. I thiought they were kidding. because there is one in there under that pile of stuff in the middle of the room.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast