Old 09-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Becka

[quote=jillaine]I love the idea of making quilts for returning vets.

I can't help but wonder if there are some returning vets who would prefer NOT to be reminded of their time over there, and would appreciate something entirely different.

[quote]

I've mentioned this as well in a post, I think it was yesterday, and can tell you there are veterans that, in fact, do not want to be reminded of what they saw or had to do. They are in my unit and in my family. If you're talking about veterans returning home, who aren't going into a hospital, or who aren't physically wounded, an alternate to the patriotic gift is incredibly difficult to suggest - something that would express gratitude for their service without bringing back memories of what that service included... No matter what the theme, that veteran will be thinking "that's the quilt I got for being in the war" - or whatever gift it may be, you know what I mean? and that pretty much negates the whole "thank you gift" concept. It's a really hard place to be.

If you're talking about returning wounded vets, who are like in a hospital, that's some different, in my mind. They've got to cover up with something, right? so just make it different colors than the patriotic standard.

Sometimes a hug is all you can do.