Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM
suern3

Originally Posted by Janis
suern3, I just know that you will love your featherweight. As for paying more, sometimes it means you get what you pay for, and getting the original things with it will warrant a higher price. The main thing is that it's what you wanted and you are comfortable with what you paid for it. With that said, you will find that it is a lot lighter than the 99, but I plan to use the 99 for my 'at home' machine, and the FW can travel with me some. I got a rolling tote for her at Michaels in the yarn department. It is just the right size to hold her and has a bunch of pockets too. I'd use it to travel and leave the case at home. It alone is a 'collector's item.' And the rolling tote is so easy to lift and move. I was amazed at how much the FW was than my newer machines that have all of the plastic. And you've got to admit it, it's a lot more fun! The attachments for each will fit both as they are both low shank, but they do have different bobbins.
My 1928 99 is in the greatest shape. The bentwood case has a few minor scratches on it, but the machine looks like it was never used. All of the decal work is there, and not worn.
My 1939 FW has a couple of places where the black isn't as dark as others, and in one place the decals are a bit lighter, but then too, that machine is 72 years old!!! Why shouldn't it show a little bit of wear??!!? I'd love to get a 1945 Featherweight, my birth year.
Janis, thanks for the encouraging words! My FW arrived this week and looks lovely. I can't believe how light it really is. Good idea about leaving the case home when we travel. The case is in very good shape for the age. I have a wheeled tote and I will use that. It does have the musty smell that seems to be a common problem so I am waiting for a sunny day to set it outside. That seemed to really help with my 99. Right now it has several dryer sheets in it.
Haven't had a chance to try out the stitches yet. I agree with you that we can expect a little bit of wear at that age, I know I certainly have some:) Good luck with finding your 1945, I'm sure you will.

:)