View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by weezie
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by weezie
VERY nice sampler, but not DJ or FW. I have no knowledge of civil war sampler(s?) though. Are those blocks 6" ones?
It was a lovely one ... and yes, 6" blocks.

I think what appealed to me the most was the colour that was there, but not in your face colour. Just enough zip though, to not have it looking too blahhhh. The black sashing helped eveything to pop ... and interesting that the border was kept as subtle as it was, rather than the frame up like an oversized sashing.

It was a great nudge of ideas towards my FWS.
Sorry if this seems like an afterthought, but congrats on your wins at the fair!

This, however, IS an afterthought: any civil war quilts & fabrics that I've seen always bring the word "dreary" to my mind and that winning sampler has cheery blocks, like the nosegay and the fans, etc., and no dreary or drab ones, so I am curious to know if the quilt maker had a specific book she followed.
Thanks, Weezie ... I really wasn't looking for praise. I've just had some crappy things going on lately, and was a little exuberant in sharing my success. It helped brighten things amidst the rotten stuff!

And who knows, it could be her own combo of blocks ... after all, we do know that there's no rules when quilting!!!!! I just hope I can connect with her at the Fair on Sunday, and chat a bit about her quilt.