Thread: LASAGNA QUILTS
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 06:17 AM
lynnegreen

Originally Posted by FranM
Any tips on the stitching to connect the strips? That looks like it'll be the most time consuming part.
I tried to be very organized about sewing the initial strips together, but you pretty much end up with a large pile. What I did find helpful was when doing the diagonal piecing of the strips I took the top strip and threw the end of it over my shoulder, funny as that may seem, but it actually flowed better during the actual seam creation.

Once the strips are all together you fold this 1600 inches of strip back on itself and sew a long seam (repeating this step several more times). Making sure you don't twist the strip as you sew is paramount. You cannot just grab the both ends and start sewing, I found out the hard way. I grab one end with my thumb and forefinger, right side facing me, and pull the fabric pile across my lap, adjusting the fabric to be right side up as I go with my left (not letting go of the beginning end) and when I get to the end of the strip all the twists are out and I can begin sewing.