Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LASAGNA QUILTS

I AM IN NEED OF INSTRUCTIONS FOR A LASAGNA QUILT. IF ANYBODY HAS SOME, PLEASE SEND TO ME.

HAPPY QUILTING,
    SANDI KAY

Blog Entries
    What is it??? I am getting hungry not that you mentioned lasagna...!

Blog Entries

Try Googling for Jelly Roll 1600.
    I think there's a video on Missour Star too.

I just watched the jelly roll quilt race and it was a hoot! Looked very fun, easy and a great way to get rid of 2.5 inch scraps if you don't have a jelly roll handy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SANDI KAY
    I AM IN NEED OF INSTRUCTIONS FOR A LASAGNA QUILT. IF ANYBODY HAS SOME, PLEASE SEND TO ME.

HAPPY QUILTING,
    SANDI KAY
    Here are two locations:

http://gvqc.org/files/Mama_Melino_s_...a_Quilting.pdf

http://lynbrown.com/wp-content/uploa...agna-quilt.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Bonbonary
    Is a Jelly Roll 1600 the same as a lasagna quilt?

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

Blog Entries
    Thanks! Have been searching for an easy, modern quilt to make as wedding gift for a couple that is not always that careful with their things. The bride's mom does not want me to invest too much time into something they may be somewhat careless with. Want to use mainly blue batiks and think this is a perfect solution. Yay!!

Thanks for posting the link. I watched the video some time ago and really liked the idea. Now it's bookmarked so I won't loose it again.

I made four of these little quickies last week and it was sooooo much fun. The first one went a lot slower then I thought it would, but once I had the hang of it the others were done in a flash. Absolutely love the way the tops turn out. I had just finished making a very complicated lap top carrier and needed something I could finish in a hurry and not get too frustrated over and this fun pattern really fit the bill, and, I have four Christmas presents half done now - they are small enough to quilt on my home sewing machine.

Any tips on the stitching to connect the strips? That looks like it'll be the most time consuming part.

Quote Originally Posted by FranM
    Any tips on the stitching to connect the strips? That looks like it'll be the most time consuming part.
    Just do it! :)

Assembly line fashion will be the quickest/easiest.
    I like the looks of the ones with the strips joined together on the bias.

Some have added joiner squares between the strips too. So another consideration for variety.

I decided to go against the grain and sewed strips of 5 together and rolled them in a roll. I had 9 rolls ready and made my first strip as a base, then added to the right side of the center strip, then the left side, and used the rolls and cut them a the end of the row. Worked out nicely and I did not have those tangled 40 strips. I also made the width that I wanted the quilt to be. There were no surprises at the end, and yes, I did add extra strips.

I cut my strips from yardage. Jelly rolls are versatile but I would not buy one to make a quilt Fabric on Sale makes it worth my time to cut strips. I bought 10 yards total, and have made 2 tops and still have more to use. All for just over $30. Missouri Star has a neat one offered by Jenny and 3 dudes.

June in Cincinnati

Is it anything like quilt as you go?

Quote Originally Posted by FranM
    I tried to be very organized about sewing the initial strips together, but you pretty much end up with a large pile. What I did find helpful was when doing the diagonal piecing of the strips I took the top strip and threw the end of it over my shoulder, funny as that may seem, but it actually flowed better during the actual seam creation.

Once the strips are all together you fold this 1600 inches of strip back on itself and sew a long seam (repeating this step several more times). Making sure you don't twist the strip as you sew is paramount. You cannot just grab the both ends and start sewing, I found out the hard way. I grab one end with my thumb and forefinger, right side facing me, and pull the fabric pile across my lap, adjusting the fabric to be right side up as I go with my left (not letting go of the beginning end) and when I get to the end of the strip all the twists are out and I can begin sewing.

I don't think you can quilt it as you go because you have all the strips to sew together. They are sewn one after the other, with the seams falling in various places. There are no blocks...just strips and more strips.

June in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by rexie
    Is it anything like quilt as you go?
    Not at all!
    Did you take a look at the links provided?

As always this board is great, I always learn something new each day!!!:)

Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    I decided to go against the grain and sewed strips of 5 together and rolled them in a roll. I had 9 rolls ready and made my first strip as a base, then added to the right side of the center strip, then the left side, and used the rolls and cut them a the end of the row. Worked out nicely and I did not have those tangled 40 strips. I also made the width that I wanted the quilt to be. There were no surprises at the end, and yes, I did add extra strips.

I cut my strips from yardage. Jelly rolls are versatile but I would not buy one to make a quilt Fabric on Sale makes it worth my time to cut strips. I bought 10 yards total, and have made 2 tops and still have more to use. All for just over $30. Missouri Star has a neat one offered by Jenny and 3 dudes.

June in Cincinnati
    Perhaps you'd show us some pics of the ones you have done.

Now you've done it! I looked at the instructions and quilts and HAD to buy some jelly rolls. I have never used them before. I bought purple and lavender rolls for a purple quilt! Just what I needed, more fabric! But I WILL make this quilt........someday.

to QuiltE.....I am in the process, working on 2. I have the strips sewn but have not squared them or gotten the borders on them yet.Yes I plan to add borders as it will prevent the quilt from pulling apart at the ends of the seams. I usually like to quilt and bind before I do the photos. I work on several quilts at a time, so it takes a while to get them finished. I assure you, the method worked!

send me your email PM and I will send you some rough shots!

June in Cincinnati

Blog Entries
    Here is a quick tip for these quilts: Use your serger! I made one of these quilts last night in just a few hours. Don't forget that you can put your inner and outer borders on with the serger, too. Super fast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
    Here is a quick tip for these quilts: Use your serger! I made one of these quilts last night in just a few hours. Don't forget that you can put your inner and outer borders on with the serger, too. Super fast!!!
    Another reason to try and talk DH into a serger for Christmas!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    to QuiltE.....I am in the process, working on 2. I have the strips sewn but have not squared them or gotten the borders on them yet.Yes I plan to add borders as it will prevent the quilt from pulling apart at the ends of the seams. I usually like to quilt and bind before I do the photos. I work on several quilts at a time, so it takes a while to get them finished. I assure you, the method worked!

send me your email PM and I will send you some rough shots!

June in Cincinnati
    Thanks! From your other post, you mentioned you had already made two, so thus why I asked.

Not a problem, I'll wait til you are ready to show ... of course, many like to see WIP on this Board too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast