Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
LASAGNA QUILTS >

LASAGNA QUILTS

LASAGNA QUILTS

Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Now you've done it! I looked at the instructions and quilts and HAD to buy some jelly rolls. I have never used them before. I bought purple and lavender rolls for a purple quilt! Just what I needed, more fabric! But I WILL make this quilt........someday.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 AM

to QuiltE.....I am in the process, working on 2. I have the strips sewn but have not squared them or gotten the borders on them yet.Yes I plan to add borders as it will prevent the quilt from pulling apart at the ends of the seams. I usually like to quilt and bind before I do the photos. I work on several quilts at a time, so it takes a while to get them finished. I assure you, the method worked!

send me your email PM and I will send you some rough shots!

June in Cincinnati
Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 AM

Here is a quick tip for these quilts: Use your serger! I made one of these quilts last night in just a few hours. Don't forget that you can put your inner and outer borders on with the serger, too. Super fast!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
Here is a quick tip for these quilts: Use your serger! I made one of these quilts last night in just a few hours. Don't forget that you can put your inner and outer borders on with the serger, too. Super fast!!!
Another reason to try and talk DH into a serger for Christmas!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by june6995
to QuiltE.....I am in the process, working on 2. I have the strips sewn but have not squared them or gotten the borders on them yet.Yes I plan to add borders as it will prevent the quilt from pulling apart at the ends of the seams. I usually like to quilt and bind before I do the photos. I work on several quilts at a time, so it takes a while to get them finished. I assure you, the method worked!

send me your email PM and I will send you some rough shots!

June in Cincinnati
Thanks! From your other post, you mentioned you had already made two, so thus why I asked.

Not a problem, I'll wait til you are ready to show ... of course, many like to see WIP on this Board too!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

the Lasagna quilt is nothing more than strips of fabric cut different sizes, IE; 5", 3", 9", etc...and just sewing them one on top of the other until you get the length you want.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Jack,You always break it down so we can easily grasp things quicker. Thanks, I wanted to make one of these.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Are we discussing two different kinds of quilts on this thread? The one link for a lasagna quilt is made with full width-of-fabric strips, cut varying widths, sewn onto a backing with batting (quilt as you go style), the others seem to be talking about the "jelly roll race" type quilts which are not quilt as you go. Either would make a great quick and easy quilt, but they aren't the same.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Thanks for clarifying. I was beginning to wonder about this subject. I had never heard a Jelly Roll quilt called a Lasagna quilt. Someone asked it it was quilt as you go and I could not imagine how that was done. Now you have clarified and explained. I thought I was confused!

June in Cincinnati
Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 AM

I saw a tute of the Jelly Rolls, but at the end of EVERY strip is an accent SQUARE (all the same color), all joined by a straight seam, not an angle seam...quite striking.