View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by runninL8
May I ask what one might expect to pay for a machine like this? How popular are they? How common? Haven't seen any like this - but might be on the lookout!
I've seen them listed as high as $500 because people are infatuated with the idea that if it's an antique it's worth a fortune. We have several listed on CL in my local area for much more than I'd pay. I paid $40 for this one in a cruddy table....not running. Most need new belts and other items. I've put probably 20 hours into it refinishing the table and and about $40 in parts and materials. So, it's cost me about $80 in total. Can I resell it for more? Probably, but I'm not going to get rich:> It's truly a labor of love with some of these machines.

My black one I paid $45 in a really bad table. Likewise it wasn't running and I had to completely redo it and have spent about $10 in parts. Probably 8 hours invested so far.

So....be prepared to spend more for a running, good condition machine and less for one you have to refurbish. They're out there if you want one! But, don't spend a fortune on the machine if it needs work. And remember these take specialty needles that you can only get online.