View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 AM
gennie1950

I just got back from upstate new york. I brought back 2 bushels of beets and canned them. I also made a choc beet bundt cake,the recipe is from allrecipes.com. I love this cake as does anyone who I give it to. I shred extra beets and put in baggies,2c.at a time. then all year I can make this cake. I also make the beet jelly and it never is enough for my friends. I make raspberry-beet jelly, cherry beet jelly, blueberry beet jelly. This year I saved 1 gallon of the beet juice for my jelly which I will make at a later date. The past 2 weeks, I have canned,beets,beets with onions,tomatoes with hot peppers,tomatoes with chili seasoning,apple pie filling,chow,chow- pickle relish,sweet and hot sliced peppers for sub sandwiches. and made 4 batches of hot pepper jelly. I also got a bushel of georgia peaches dropped at my back door and have made peach jam for the last 2 days. I sell these, I have many people who just love home canned things. I hope you have good luck with your beet abundance. PS,in georgia, beets don't grow well so I always go north for mine.