Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Beets...what do you do with them? >

Beets...what do you do with them?

Beets...what do you do with them?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 AM

I worked in a school cafeteria, the kids (K-12), loved the chocolate cake made with beets, and they never knew the difference. It was so much fun to know we fooled some of the pickiest eaters in the world. :D
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 AM

I usually make a salad.

Soak the greens and tear like lettuce.

Cook beets until tender and slice. Thinly slice oranges and onions.

Arrange the beets, oranges,and onions over the greens. Serve with a vinaigrette of orange juice and olive oil with a bit of fresh oregano. Top with blue cheese or Gorgonzola Dolce.

Yummy.. my boys (5 and 4) love it. :)
Old 09-19-2011, 12:54 PM
mac

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
yup. we make borscht. we never boil them though. we wash them off, and then wrap them in foil. toss them in a cake pan or on a cookie sheet, and bake them at 350-375 for 1 1/2 -2 hours, depending on how big they are. when they are "fork tender", take them out, and let them cool until you can unwrap them. then, just "slip" them out of their skins, cut into chunks, and serve up with butter. you will not believe the deep color and deep flavor they have, this way. they are like candy, in my book!
[quote=blueheavensfla] I can't believe that more of you don't eat the beet greens. They are so yummy. At the price we have to pay in the grocery for them, I NEVER buy beets unless the greens are fairly young, tender and fresh. I get double value for my extravagance that way. I like the greens even better than swiss chard or spinach which are my 3 top favorite cooked veggies. [/qipte]

My two favorite things: beet greens sauteed and roasted beets.

They taste so sweet. I bake them as above described and even DH loves them, too. Yumm Yumm!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Make Borscht

Borscht Recipe
INGREDIENTS
8 cups beef broth*
1 pound slice of meaty bone-in beef shank
1 large onion, peeled, quartered
4 large beets, peeled, chopped
4 carrots, peeled, chopped
1 large russet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
3/4 cup chopped fresh dill
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
*Use gluten-free broth if you are cooking gluten-free

METHOD
1 Bring 4 cups of the beef broth, the beef shank, and onion to boil in large pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
2 Transfer meat to work surface; trim fat, sinew and bone and discard. Chop meat; cover and chill. Cool broth slightly. Chill in pot until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
3 Spoon fat from top of chilled broth and discard. Add remaining 4 cups broth, beets, carrots, and potato; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
4 Stir in meat, cabbage and 1/2 cup dill; cook until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in vinegar.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream and remaining 1/4 cup dill.
Yield: Serves 6.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-259378.jpe  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM

My DH grows yummy beets, both yellow/orange and red varieties.
My favorite way to eat them is done in the pressure cooker and gotta eat the cooked greens too, salt,pepper and real butter.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Sorry for the delay in sending the recipe, I had to get the recipe from my sister. It is similar but a little different to the recipe already posted.

Mock Raspberry jam....
3 C diced raw beets (cook in water until done, put in blender and liquify). Mix liquidfied beets & enough water to make 7 cups in a large pan.
Add:
1/2 C real lemon juice
3 boxes of sure jell
Bring to boil then add:
8 C sugar
2 - 6oz pkg of rasp jello
Bring to slow boil, then boil for 10 min. Skim & put into jars.

Can use carrots and peach jello to make peach jam.

Enjoy!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
Yrs ago made a beet Jelly, yes you heard me right and it was down right good. But it was so many yrs ago I don't remember how I did it. Has a nice taste and color is great.

Rita
I make jelly too and that's ALL I do with them.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by conniejean
I agree, one can never have too many pickled beets. If I have jars from last year, I give them away. I also eat them right out of the jar for a snack....satisfies my sweet tooth. Great idea to give to a food pantry or tell all of your friends to come and get them. Wish you lived near me. I have to buy them since I can't do a garden any more.
We just finished off a jar of pickled beets from 2005! Yummy! At this point, I think I will most likely make more pickled beets (from my grandmother's recipe), although I do like to make unusual jams and sauces to give to family for Christmas. The jam/jelly recipe sounds like a winner this year.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by granny11
Sorry for the delay in sending the recipe, I had to get the recipe from my sister. It is similar but a little different to the recipe already posted.

Mock Raspberry jam....
3 C diced raw beets (cook in water until done, put in blender and liquify). Mix liquidfied beets & enough water to make 7 cups in a large pan.
Add:
1/2 C real lemon juice
3 boxes of sure jell
Bring to boil then add:
8 C sugar
2 - 6oz pkg of rasp jello
Bring to slow boil, then boil for 10 min. Skim & put into jars.

Can use carrots and peach jello to make peach jam.

Enjoy!
Thanks so much Granny11! Can't wait to try it. :-P
Old 10-04-2011, 12:28 PM

[quote=mac]
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
yup. we make borscht. we never boil them though. we wash them off, and then wrap them in foil. toss them in a cake pan or on a cookie sheet, and bake them at 350-375 for 1 1/2 -2 hours, depending on how big they are. when they are "fork tender", take them out, and let them cool until you can unwrap them. then, just "slip" them out of their skins, cut into chunks, and serve up with butter. you will not believe the deep color and deep flavor they have, this way. they are like candy, in my book!
Originally Posted by blueheavensfla
I can't believe that more of you don't eat the beet greens. They are so yummy. At the price we have to pay in the grocery for them, I NEVER buy beets unless the greens are fairly young, tender and fresh. I get double value for my extravagance that way. I like the greens even better than swiss chard or spinach which are my 3 top favorite cooked veggies. [/qipte]

My two favorite things: beet greens sauteed and roasted beets.

They taste so sweet. I bake them as above described and even DH loves them, too. Yumm Yumm!
We love beet greens. We lots in the early summer when the beets need thinning. Later on, though, the leaves are too ratty (for lack of a better word) to eat. I'm thinking of planting some more seed just for the greens, next year. A little late for this year. :-P