Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 AM
pookie ookie

Originally Posted by jillaine
I love the idea of making quilts for returning vets.

But all of the ones I've seen have a patriotic theme. And in fact, it seems like the organizations that coordinate quilt donations to vets require such themes that usually include red, white and blue and stars.

I can't help but wonder if there are some returning vets who would prefer NOT to be reminded of their time over there, and would appreciate something entirely different.

What have you made for a returning vet that is of a non-patriotic theme? And can anyone recommend a quilt-donation-coordinating organization that doesn't require a particular theme?
My soldier while deployed prefers themes related to home. Not patriotic. Not camouflage. Not military. If you contact a drop off point directly, rather than going through the existing organizations, you should be able to do themes other than patriotic. Also if you ever donate to Afghan locals overseas, no red, white and blue.

Or, you could ask if you can do military blocks in colors other than red, white and blue. Not the best solution but it might be an option. Good luck.