View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Janis

From the looks, the machine you are looking at looks better than the one that I saw. Good luck with it. Let me know if you get the machine. What is your other vintage machine?

I got my FW in May from a sewing machine repair shop, and it had been cleaned and gone over, so I didn't have to worry about it sewing, and could try it out there.
In Aug., I got my 99 which I found on Craigslist. I took some thread and a scrap of material with me when I went to see it. It didn't do me any good as there was no needle with the machine and I hadn't thought of taking one. I was able to plug it in and make sure it sounded good. They had bought it 20 years before that from an antique store because they liked the bentwood case it sat in. So, for 20 years, it just sat there. Probably waiting for me to find it. It sews like a dream, and although it is quite old, 1928, looks like new! Decals and everything intact.
I think that's why my hubby wasn't too much in favor of the 15-91 that had been poly coated. I don't know how you could get that plastic type varnish or what ever it is off the machine. It's not a smooth coat, and doesn't look as nice. The same stuff is on the cabinet, which wasn't as bad, I just think it spoils the look and function of the machine. It's worse than a spray paint job in the fact that that at least might be smooth.