Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I saw a Singer 15-91 Today! >

Help! I saw a Singer 15-91 Today!

Help! I saw a Singer 15-91 Today!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by goaf1968
Before buying any sewing machine it is helpful if you take into account what your sewing needs are. A model 15-91 is a true workhorse and it can handle anything from linen to heavy upholstery, drapes and even boat sails. It is one very reliable machine and it is also very easy to service yourself. It is also convertible to a treadle, which is a big plus to many folks dedicated to using machines without tails (meaning no electricity cord.) The price of $50 sounds pretty reasonable, especially if it has any accessories and an owner's manual. Most of the 15-'s I have here cost more than $50 -- yes, I do have a few of them.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware (my wife's favorite quilting enabler)
and what is that cool machine in your avatar ? drooling.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Janis
I didn't get the machine! I took along thread, needles, a scrap of fabric and scissors so I could try it out. I took out the RUSTED needle, and put mine in. I then put the bobbin that already had thread in the machine and threaded it. The disks of the upper tension are RUSTED so it didn't work that great, and I just ran it by hand as at a flea market, the plugs for electricity were far off. Then I noticed that the end where the bobbin goes on the winder is RUSTED too, and it needed a new rubber on the wheel of it. If those two things are rusted, what else that I can't see are too? The metal plates on the machine looked like they had brush strokes in them, and then feeling the machine head itself, I realized that when 'they' 'poly coated' the cabinet, they did the same to the machine!!!
The best things of the whole set are the attachments, which are a zigzag attachment (feed dogs on the 99 and FW don't go down, so it wouldn't work on either of them) the instruction book, and the small black walking foot. I have a little one I bought for my FW, and 2 for my Sears/Janome that are low shank and will fit on all of my machines. If I did go back and get anything, it would be the attachments, book, and the stool. Would it be worth it to just get them and leave the machine and cabinet? Remember, the cabinet has been poly refinished and replacement handles, so no antique value there.
On the other hand, I did try out the 1931 66, by hand and not with the power, and it is in better shape. It also had a larger harp than the 15-91, which surprised me. It is just the machine alone with it's cabinet. I have a feeling that it's sat there for a while, as they'd reduced the price of it to $32.50. I might watch it, as it's the big sister, but younger to my 99.
O.M.G.!!! GO BACK!! Get that "small black walking foot"!!!!! That sounds like a Penguin, and they're rare!! If you have to buy the whole machine, do it! April1930's lists one for sale at $600!
As for using the zigzagger on your other machines, all you need is a dog cover plate, and most of the zigzaggers have one...if not, it's not hard to get one!

~holding my breath~
Yikes ! holding my breath too !! I dream of seeing one of
these in the flesh. only thing I really NEED.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Ellen
SunlitenSmiles, when you used the zig-zagger, did you lower the feeddogs? I can see how that can tear up a project.
I've never used the zig-zag attachment before. How would it work if you lowered/covered the feed dogs? Doesn't the fabric need to advance for it to work properly?
The attachment itself moves and moves the fabric...the feed dogs are dropped or coverd so that they don't "fight" each other...
Thank you Charlee! I was wondering how it worked.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 PM

except the attachment does not have a feed dog cover and the instructions do not show one and do not say to drop the feed dogs in fact they show how to go from zig zag to straight stitch to zig zag without removing attachment...i have the cover in the buttonhole attachment and i know how to drop the feed dogs with a screwdriver (301A)

I was holding my breath if that was a penquin also
Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM

i am going this weekend to take a look at her. i'm too excited. no husband here to spin a yarn for, just me and my space issues.

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
congratulations. If I lived in your area and had $50, I'd be in line behind you to buy it, in case you changed your mind. Please post pictures if you get it.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Google Goddess

you need to go get it!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM

janis thanks for this tips. i will use them and take along supplies when i go look at my 15-91 this weekend.

Originally Posted by Janis
I didn't get the machine! I took along thread, needles, a scrap of fabric and scissors so I could try it out. I took out the RUSTED needle, and put mine in. I then put the bobbin that already had thread in the machine and threaded it. The disks of the upper tension are RUSTED so it didn't work that great, and I just ran it by hand as at a flea market, the plugs for electricity were far off. Then I noticed that the end where the bobbin goes on the winder is RUSTED too, and it needed a new rubber on the wheel of it. If those two things are rusted, what else that I can't see are too? The metal plates on the machine looked like they had brush strokes in them, and then feeling the machine head itself, I realized that when 'they' 'poly coated' the cabinet, they did the same to the machine!!!
The best things of the whole set are the attachments, which are a zigzag attachment (feed dogs on the 99 and FW don't go down, so it wouldn't work on either of them) the instruction book, and the small black walking foot. I have a little one I bought for my FW, and 2 for my Sears/Janome that are low shank and will fit on all of my machines. If I did go back and get anything, it would be the attachments, book, and the stool. Would it be worth it to just get them and leave the machine and cabinet? Remember, the cabinet has been poly refinished and replacement handles, so no antique value there.
On the other hand, I did try out the 1931 66, by hand and not with the power, and it is in better shape. It also had a larger harp than the 15-91, which surprised me. It is just the machine alone with it's cabinet. I have a feeling that it's sat there for a while, as they'd reduced the price of it to $32.50. I might watch it, as it's the big sister, but younger to my 99.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 PM

From the looks, the machine you are looking at looks better than the one that I saw. Good luck with it. Let me know if you get the machine. What is your other vintage machine?

I got my FW in May from a sewing machine repair shop, and it had been cleaned and gone over, so I didn't have to worry about it sewing, and could try it out there.
In Aug., I got my 99 which I found on Craigslist. I took some thread and a scrap of material with me when I went to see it. It didn't do me any good as there was no needle with the machine and I hadn't thought of taking one. I was able to plug it in and make sure it sounded good. They had bought it 20 years before that from an antique store because they liked the bentwood case it sat in. So, for 20 years, it just sat there. Probably waiting for me to find it. It sews like a dream, and although it is quite old, 1928, looks like new! Decals and everything intact.
I think that's why my hubby wasn't too much in favor of the 15-91 that had been poly coated. I don't know how you could get that plastic type varnish or what ever it is off the machine. It's not a smooth coat, and doesn't look as nice. The same stuff is on the cabinet, which wasn't as bad, I just think it spoils the look and function of the machine. It's worse than a spray paint job in the fact that that at least might be smooth.