Thread: tying quilts
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SherryB
I want to tie my quilt, but how and where do you start tieing?
I think it depends on the top of the quilt. You want the knots evenly spaced. You can put them over corners or in the middles of the squares. Sometimes the knot is as much a part of the decor as anything. You really won't want knots too close to any of the edges.

My mom gave me "quilting" boards that were handed down. They were poplar 1X3s about 8 or so ft long. They are kind of small for a big quilt. Anyway, there are holes drilled every couple inches. Then rags tacked on to hold the quilt. I think the holes were for pegs or something. Anyway now days they are held together with c clamps. We made our own before too. Take 4 long straight boards and tack down a strip of fabric right smack down the middle the whole length on each one. They go just tight enough to not pop when you pin to them and loose enough you can pin to them with out sagging.... must be an art.... Then you lay the boards on the floor pin one quilt side to the strip along the side of the board. Do the bottom piece first. Then put another board on the opposite side and pin it on to the scrap fabric. Once the two long sides are pinned get the other two boards and use C clamps in all the corners to hook the whole frame up. Then pin the top and bottom of the quilt to the top and bottom of the frame pieces. Then put your batting on it. Then put the quilt top on and re-pin it to the frame - the batting just sets there. Then you get 4 nice ladder back chairs and put one under each corner of the frame. Then start by tying a knot about 5 to 6 inches from the edge in the middle - then go 5 to 6 inches (or what ever) and make another knot. Go each way in any design you like. You don't have to cut the string until the needle gets too short. Then you cut and tie all the strings. When you get to where you can't reach the middle you unhook the C clamp and roll the sides under a turn and re-clamp the boards. You try to do it so you don't have to roll it much. You can put a little kid under to catch the needle and send it back through. LOL... That was what I remember doing when I was in first grade and stopping by the ladies aid after school. I also snuck cookies... When you get it all tied, take it off the frame - lay the whole thing on the floor. Turn the fabric under and pin it together as you take it off the frame - then all you have to do is sew around the edges. TaDa a 'quilt' - NOW I have been called down on this before. Some people think if it isn't quilted with thread stitches along each seam it isn't a quilt it is a comforter.... Tell that to my mom.