View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Suz

Fellow Quilters,

I am begging everyone of you to make one Quilt of Valor. Just one!

On Thursday, The (Harrisburg, PA) Patriot News provided the following information as of June 30, 2009 for Iraq (Afghanistan is not included):

Confirmed US Military wounded (hostile) - 31,408; and
Confirmed US Military wounded (non-hostile, using medical air tansport) - 37,512

Plus a lot more statistics.

If you go to www.QOVF.org you will see that only 23,227 quilts have been awarded to our wounded and we have almost 70,000 wounded. Please help in this cause. We all enjoy our freedoms and regardless of how you feel about our participation in the two conflicts, those serving are still our family, friends and neighbors.

The Quilts of Valor are simple:
Use 100% cotton, preferably patriotic fabrics, wash, dry, press (nothing Childish or too cute);
Choose a simple pattern (fence row or log cabin using red/white/blue), then applique a few stars on top;
Minimum size - 50" x 60";
Use muslin on the back, if you choose;
Prepare a label;
Quilt (preferable) or tie tightly, there are also longarmers to machine quilt (see at the qovf site);
Square and bind (stitch binding first to the wrong side, turn to top and use decorative stitch to finish)
Make a presentation case (small pillow case: 18" x wom in half), I add a band of contrast fabric);
Wash everything again as the quilt will be going into a sterile hospital.

Lastly, fill out a Destination Form by Saturday at the qovf.org site and wait until Sunday or Monday for Cathy Roberts to send you a destination.

Then box and mail. A deserving wounded warrior will appreciate it so much and you will have supported our troops today.

PLEASE let me have a pledge from each of you to help. JUST ONE QUILT will make a dent in those who are waiting for you to show you care.

PM me if you want to know how many of these I have made.

Thank you so much. I'll get down from my box now.

Suzanne