Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Please, I'm Begging All of You

  1. #1
    Suz
    Suz is offline
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,320
    Fellow Quilters,

    I am begging everyone of you to make one Quilt of Valor. Just one!

    On Thursday, The (Harrisburg, PA) Patriot News provided the following information as of June 30, 2009 for Iraq (Afghanistan is not included):

    Confirmed US Military wounded (hostile) - 31,408; and
    Confirmed US Military wounded (non-hostile, using medical air tansport) - 37,512

    Plus a lot more statistics.

    If you go to www.QOVF.org you will see that only 23,227 quilts have been awarded to our wounded and we have almost 70,000 wounded. Please help in this cause. We all enjoy our freedoms and regardless of how you feel about our participation in the two conflicts, those serving are still our family, friends and neighbors.

    The Quilts of Valor are simple:
    Use 100% cotton, preferably patriotic fabrics, wash, dry, press (nothing Childish or too cute);
    Choose a simple pattern (fence row or log cabin using red/white/blue), then applique a few stars on top;
    Minimum size - 50" x 60";
    Use muslin on the back, if you choose;
    Prepare a label;
    Quilt (preferable) or tie tightly, there are also longarmers to machine quilt (see at the qovf site);
    Square and bind (stitch binding first to the wrong side, turn to top and use decorative stitch to finish)
    Make a presentation case (small pillow case: 18" x wom in half), I add a band of contrast fabric);
    Wash everything again as the quilt will be going into a sterile hospital.

    Lastly, fill out a Destination Form by Saturday at the qovf.org site and wait until Sunday or Monday for Cathy Roberts to send you a destination.

    Then box and mail. A deserving wounded warrior will appreciate it so much and you will have supported our troops today.

    PLEASE let me have a pledge from each of you to help. JUST ONE QUILT will make a dent in those who are waiting for you to show you care.

    PM me if you want to know how many of these I have made.

    Thank you so much. I'll get down from my box now.

    Suzanne

  2. #2
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    3
    this is certainly a good cause. it's close to my own heart for a lot of reasons. please do NOT take the following information to mean i'm trying to say quilts for our Warriors aren't one of the best things we quilters could ever do for another human being. they definitely are.

    i just wanted to let you know that the term "wounded" can mean many things. not all wounds are physical. not all wounds are drastic. most Wounded Warriors recover completely - mentally, physically and emotionally.

    this is not to say we should think it's no big deal. i just wanted those of you who may not have the privilege of personally knowing and working with our Warriors - wounded or not - to be reassured that the news for each of them does not remain entirely bad.

    of course i encourage anyone who can and wants to send a quilt (or more) to do so. but, if it isn't within your resources ... here's something you could do instead.

    if you see someone in uniform, say "thank you".
    if you see someone you know used to be in uniform, say "thank you".

    trust me ... you will make a difference you can't measure.

    no military in your town? go to the nearest major airport one day. keep your eyes "peeled". you'll find at least one. ;-)

    Army Strong!
    Semper Fi!
    Anchors Away!
    Fly, Fight and Win!

  3. #3
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2

    I like fact I can mail it directly. That's great! I have a quilt at the quilters now that will be perfect to donate.

    I joined a group that made the Cool Ties for the soldiers. It turned into basic training! Donated high quality cotton was rejected as being too girly if it had flowers or any pastel color or any shade of pink at all. Aren't there lady soldiers too? the cheap novelty fabric was accepted. One lady serged over 200 ties and they were rejected, no serging allowed. The Cool Ties are small, around the neck under the shirt, wet and dirty. Why all the rules about color and serging? Most of the ladies quit coming to make them. Oh the lady that serged hers, sent them to her grandson whose in the military and he said they were grabbed up in seconds.


  4. #4
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Oh the lady that serged hers, sent them to her grandson whose in the military and he said they were grabbed up in seconds.
    I've had similar experiences, which have turned me off to donating to some specific causes. Not all of us can afford pricier fabrics. Suggestions to "have a yard sale/bake sale" to raise money for fabric were obviously made by someone who has never been in my neighborhood.

    If one group is too quilt-police-picky, find another or donate directly. Not every quilt will be an heirloom, and not every recipient will treat your work as such.

  5. #5
    Super Member SharonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,551
    As a prior service member (27 Yr in USAF)...I so appreciate the idea of donating to our men and women. I would just say forget the quilt police and donate something from your heart...it's deeply appreciated; we have so many in need of a "quilt hug"...just to know they are still in our thoughts and prayers.
    Lastly, Happy Fourth of July :)
    Freedom isn't Free
    Sharon (CMSgt Retired)

  6. #6
    Suz
    Suz is offline
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,320
    I do three or four big fund raisers each year. I have been at this for two years. I take two card tables, two QOVs and my money box and go to community festivals. Often the organizers will not charge me for booth space owing to this project. (Local organizations also contribute when they learn about what I am doing.)

    I speak to those attending these affairs, telling why these quilts are made and where they are going. I have a looseleaf binder with pictures of some of my quilts, replies and pictures of some of the recipients to support my asking for donations. Folks give me pocket change as well as the folding green. Without their help, I could not make these quilts. I always come home with several hundred dollars. All money is kept in a separate checking account and I do shop sales and use coupons.

    When I got involved in this project, I prayed, asked the Lord for a design and asked that He support it. He has been faithful.

    Still at War, Still Quilting, Suzanne

  7. #7
    Super Member mpspeedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rural Maryland
    Posts
    1,566
    I looked into this program a while back. I was kind of put off by the stress on QS only fabric etc. They also seemed determinded that everything be professionally long armed. I make a lot of Linus quilts and I do machine quilt them as children in particular are hard on stuff and they will need constant washing. I did get the impression that the "quilt police" will determine if our "gift" is good enough. While I understand having standards like new, strong fabric even 100% cotton but to dictate where it must be purchased is going a little to far.
    One of the members of our quilt guild collects patriotic themed lap quilts for the military hospitals in the Washington DC area. She even got her husband's VA club to help with some of the delivery etc. expenses. My donations were always welcome with them and I was never made to feel like they weren't up to snuff. I don't seek recognition for my dontaions. I can see putting some words of thanks or incouragement on the quilts.

  8. #8
    2wheelwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    879
    I've donated a number of quilts to the Soldier's Angels organization, which has the same quilt delivery goals, but not the quilt police that QoV seemed to have with all the restrictions. The original piece on QoV that I read said they wanted "heirloom quality" quilts, and as a beginning quilter that was quite daunting. They would also not accept any tied quilts, nor did they want stitched-in-the-ditch, which is all I've done thus far. Perhaps their rules have changed somewhat from a couple of years ago and its easier to comply now, though I was told at this years Road-to-California QoV booth that they will not accept tied quilts. I'm still partial to Soldier's Angels. Soldier's Angels were extremely appreciative of all my quilts - both tied and stitched in the ditch.

    Regardless of which organization you choose, the goals here are the same....getting a tangible hug to them to let the soldiers know they are supported and thought about. I agree with Suz - we can all make and donate at least one. I got my Guild involved and we've made a lot now, and have a good time working on them together, like old fashioned quilting bees.

  9. #9
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,765
    What are "cool ties" ?


  10. #10
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,765
    I found the site hard to follow.


  11. #11
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    Well, I have never stitched my binding on the back and then front an Not going to start now! Never heard such a thing. glad there are other places and other ways to help!

    And as for appliqueing stars on the front, why would they want you do do that? they will be washed a lot. , and I don't think the soldiers care for them to be patriotic material. I'm sure they would rather have something more cheerful! Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, just my opinion/\.

  12. #12
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    What are "cool ties" ?
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/1782.page
    is where MimiSharon posted the link for direction. They are fast and easy to make, and work great even in humid Florida. They are also lightweight enough to mail out without going broke. I most often just hear them called neck coolers.

  13. #13
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    Well, I have never stitched my binding on the back and then front an Not going to start now! Never heard such a thing. glad there are other places and other ways to help!

    And as for appliqueing stars on the front, why would they want you do do that? they will be washed a lot. , and I don't think the soldiers care for them to be patriotic material. I'm sure they would rather have something more cheerful! Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, just my opinion/\.
    I did a couple of kids' quilts that way - sewed the binding on the back and top-stitched it down on the front. They looked good.

    I couldn't quite figure out what the point of appliquing stars was, either.




  14. #14
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Can't I just take my quilts to the local Vets hospital? Surely they would know people who need them?
    How's this? Lets not pile on with criticism of QoV. Let each person read about the organization and decide whether they are comfortable donating through QoV or would prefer to make a quilt (or other donation) for a Warrior and send it through a different route.

    I'm making quilts right now that i'll send to mimisharon. she knows how to get them to active military and to a veterans' hospital.

    the Army has set up an information program for people interested in donating to soldiers and families: http://giftstoarmy.army.mil/ (i'm "heavy" on information about the Army because i happen to work on an Army post. does anybody know of something similar for the other services?)

  15. #15
    MsSage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW Panhandle Texas
    Posts
    597
    I would like some info on the Marines.

  16. #16
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSage
    I would like some info on the Marines.

    www.marinecomfortquilts.com

  17. #17
    Super Member CajunQuilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Posts
    3,296
    I would love to donate, altho I do not think I could make one in a timely manner & also am not that accomplished at quilting yet. So if I could either donate material/and or money to someone on the board who could make one I would like to do that.
    My dad is retired Air Force---I was a military brat & proud to be :thumbup:My dad retired from service when I was 17 so all of my childhood was military. My dad served in Viet Nam, I have an uncle who did 3 tours there with the Marines & I have a cousin who gave the ultimate sacrafice---his life at 19. So I will always be a strong supporter of our troops no matter what.

  18. #18
    DJ
    DJ is offline
    Super Member DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    2,466
    Here's what happened to me . . .

    One of the women in our small vacation community who likes to craft, too (knitting and quilting) comes to see what I'm working on, so I show her the LWR (Lutheran World Relief) quilt tops I'm sewing. Sometimes I try not to show her things because she always has ideas about how I could do it better. When I showed her the LWR quilt tops, she didn't say they were nice or anything, she said "You know what you should do . . . " and proceeded to tell me that I should talk the quilting women at church into making quilts for Veterans instead of for LWR. She kept sort of harping on it, and in fact, I have made lap-size afghans to be donated to the VA as well as quilt sqares to donate to an organization that makes quilts with them. So finally I asked her what she was doing for the Veterans . . . (nothing) . . . After she left and after I fumed about it for a while, I went to her place and challenged her (sweetly suggested) to put her actions where her mouth is . . . so we decided she would purchase patriotic fabric, I would do the piecing, and we will set a quilt sandwich out on a table at our community potluck in August for the people at our little trailer park to help tie. It's a lap quilt and I'll make a label for the back that people can sign. Here's the pieced top (Warm Wishes), and I'm glad to have had the inspiration!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,765
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    Here's what happened to me . . .

    One of the women in our small vacation community who likes to craft, too (knitting and quilting) comes to see what I'm working on, so I show her the LWR (Lutheran World Relief) quilt tops I'm sewing. Sometimes I try not to show her things because she always has ideas about how I could do it better. When I showed her the LWR quilt tops, she didn't say they were nice or anything, she said "You know what you should do . . . " and proceeded to tell me that I should talk the quilting women at church into making quilts for Veterans instead of for LWR. She kept sort of harping on it, and in fact, I have made lap-size afghans to be donated to the VA as well as quilt sqares to donate to an organization that makes quilts with them. So finally I asked her what she was doing for the Veterans . . . (nothing) . . . After she left and after I fumed about it for a while, I went to her place and challenged her (sweetly suggested) to put her actions where her mouth is . . . so we decided she would purchase patriotic fabric, I would do the piecing, and we will set a quilt sandwich out on a table at our community potluck in August for the people at our little trailer park to help tie. It's a lap quilt and I'll make a label for the back that people can sign. Here's the pieced top (Warm Wishes), and I'm glad to have had the inspiration!
    !!! At least she bought some fabric -

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanks for the link for Marine Quilts, but it doesn't work! My second son just joined the Marines. I would love to have more information about this, if you have a live link.

  21. #21
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    Thanks for the link for Marine Quilts, but it doesn't work! My second son just joined the Marines. I would love to have more information about this, if you have a live link.
    try this!! :D

    http://www.marinecomfortquilts.us/

  22. #22
    Piedmont Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Can't I just take my quilts to the local Vets hospital? Surely they would know people who need them?
    How's this? Lets not pile on with criticism of QoV. Let each person read about the organization and decide whether they are comfortable donating through QoV or would prefer to make a quilt (or other donation) for a Warrior and send it through a different route.

    I'm making quilts right now that i'll send to mimisharon. she knows how to get them to active military and to a veterans' hospital.

    the Army has set up an information program for people interested in donating to soldiers and families: http://giftstoarmy.army.mil/ (i'm "heavy" on information about the Army because i happen to work on an Army post. does anybody know of something similar for the other services?)
    Thanks for the "wake-up call" on this subject Patrice. Not that I agree or disagree with how this organization handles their donations - the idea of sending to, or contacting mimisharon for delivery is wonderful! She lives right there in Jacksonville - that's a NO BRAINER!!!!

  23. #23
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,227
    Our little group donated and found it was very expensive mailing back and forth for the quilting then to QOValor. Yes they have alot of rules, now you even have to put the quilts in a special made pillow case.
    We contacted our local VA hospital and found we could donate locally.
    So far we have givin two quilts this way and even met one of the men. It was quite touching. He had bad injuries but was so gracious, we loved the experience.
    The other one we gave to the mother who was so happy that we cared so much. She took it to him.


  24. #24
    sunnyhope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    443
    I wish i could, a friend of mine is in afghanistan rite now and i m worried sick about him :cry:

  25. #25
    Super Member redquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,965
    To answer Loretta - yes you can donate to your local VA hospital. I do it all the time. Some quilts and some crocheted afghans. They are always very happy to get them. I also save the little bottles of shampoo, etc. that you get in hotels/motels and so do my kids and my hubby who does a lot of travelling. The vets are happy to receive them also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.