View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 PM
valsma

Originally Posted by jeank
I witnessed a strange incident in Joann's recently and wondered if it is their policy.

One of the clerks was leaving the store as her child was soon due home on the school bus. She went over to another clerk and opened her purse, the second clerk peeked into it, and on the girl went.

Is it the policy to search employees as they leave? Do they think the employee is stealing the store in her purse? I do realize that employee theft is a big problem with retailers, but I thought this display was over the top, and in front of customers.

Just wondering,
Jean
If I had to guess it is probably company policy like everyone has said.

When I worked at Target distribution, end of shift meant everyone exiting the same doors. As we were exiting we had to have our lunch boxes open and ready to be looked at by the secruity gaurds standing on either side of the hall. If you had a plastic bag they would just take a quick looksee to see what was in it. If they had a questions they would ask. After the looksee we then proceeded to go though detectors that would scan for the security tags inside most items coming through the DC that is prone to theft. If you had nothing to hide, no big deal.

"When my girls worked at one retail store their 'purse' had to be made of clear plastic. Can't remember where we found it, but it reminded me of those zipper bags that some bed linens come in, but much smaller."
When I read this comment it reminded me that Target also furnished the small clear bags (fanny paks) for us to carry personal items in when we were in the warehouse.

Most people don't realize that many items, more than electronics, have security tags embeded in the packaging.