Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for employees of Joann's >

question for employees of Joann's

question for employees of Joann's

Old 09-28-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Way back in the dark ages (1973) I worked at Rohr Industries in Chula Vista, CA as a computer programmer. Rohr made large components for jet engines (among other things) and so my work site was in the factory. I thought it strange that every day all the factory workers had to open their lunch pails to show that they weren't carrying out anything belonging to the company, but I was never asked to open my briefcase, which could have contained a mag tape with all sorts of sensitive, proprietary company information.
Sounds like the song by Johnny Cash, " psycho billy cadillac" "One piece at a time. "
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM

I have worked at Joanns for over 6 years. It is company policy that all bags of employees as well as maintenance/service personnel be checked upon leaving. These bags checks are to be done while the employee is still "on the clock". They are to clock out at a register or other computer nearer the doors. As far as unfolding customer fabrics---it is not supposed to be so obvious that is what you are doing! We are watched during audits to see if we are mindful of Loss Prevention opportunities such as "feeling" in the folds of fabrics and looking in baskets and other containers. I don't like it but it is part of the job!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jeank
I witnessed a strange incident in Joann's recently and wondered if it is their policy.

One of the clerks was leaving the store as her child was soon due home on the school bus. She went over to another clerk and opened her purse, the second clerk peeked into it, and on the girl went.

Is it the policy to search employees as they leave? Do they think the employee is stealing the store in her purse? I do realize that employee theft is a big problem with retailers, but I thought this display was over the top, and in front of customers.

Just wondering,
Jean
I witnessed the same thing in the JoAnn's here. One employee was leaving the store for lunch and she walked right up to the checkout and had the other employee check inside it.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
I think it is terribly sad but it is probably the store policy. I personally think it is horrible to have so little trust in your employees.
unfortunately, there is reason for those policies. Employee theft. I am a manager at a pizza restaurant and I just had to fire a shift manager for theft of time. she was clocking herself out an hour after she was gone.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:35 PM

What comes to mind is, if one was a determined thief and you know they are going to check your bag/purse etc, wouldn't you have to think of creative/inventive ways not to get caught??? I am not a thief, wouldn't think of taking a dime that wasn't mine; but even I know if they are looking here you take it from over there.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Yes, this true at Joann's. I used to work there and it was a nightly thing. Many times it was a big joke as we would all laugh about it and tell each other to ignore the sewing machine or bolt of fabric etc that was stashed in our purses. Employee theft is a big problem in most retail stores.