View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Greenheron

One of my husband's ancient "Popular Mechanics" magazines recommended mixing used motor oil into a pail of sand and working the tools up and down several times to clean and oil. (1940's edition.)

Originally Posted by mim
Oh -- That is a good idea -- storing my trowels, etc in sand. Thank you -- Now - strange as it may seem -- I have to go BUY some sand. I may live on the Atlantic Ocean -- but it is not sandy here -- rocky and lots of clay. I may have some emery here -- unless it is in WA. I remember buying a packet at a quilt show years ago and didn't ever do something with it.

A lot of people raise sheep near here -- I will see if I can get a small bit of it
Mim

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
As I mentioned up above sand works well and is cheap. It is very abrasive, we use it to store our garden hand implements in, helps reduce rust and as you put metal into sand and remove it it will sharpen your edges. If it is completely dry there is no danger of smell or mold. It is also heavy enough you aren't always bumping it off the table or such. Try it, you'll like it!