View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Mo_Chride

I am working on a GFG. I have been doing EPP by hand. I am using 1" hexies and it will EVENTUALLY be a queen sized quilt. It takes almost 6,000 hexies! I printed out the hexie template from here:

http://www.kathykwylie.com/1%20Inch%...0Templates.pdf

onto cardstock and then cut them out. I cut my fabric into 2.5" squares with my rotary cutter and basted the fabric onto the cardstock hexie and then whip stitched them together. My first day of basting was around the 22ish of May but I had one more day of hexie cutting and one more day of fabric cutting left. I had already cut most of my fabric, many hexies and done all the planning.

I do also have a 6.5yo boy and a 4yo girl so I sew in moments here and there, not nearly as much as some ladies here do. On "good" weeks, I can get five complete flowers, with pathways and attach them onto the quilt. On "bad" weeks, less to none. After 4.5 flowers down and almost the full width of the queen quilt, some of my hexies are pretty rough so I am ready to print off some more and do a couple of days of hexie cutting. In May I thought I might get finished by Christmas. Now I am still hoping for Christmas but 2012 instead of 2011! LOL

This is the last good shot I expect to get before the snow falls here. After this I will have to do indoor shots which are never as good. I did wonder about the boredom factor as well but I have found it rather addicting and love the portability of it. I always have a small bag with me for stitching a hexie or two while waiting on this or that, watching children's swim lessons, etc.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-264043.jpe