Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Grace MooreLinker

Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
I volunteer in the chemo unit of my local hospital so I see lots of lovely quilts and blankets. In my opinion -- do not use pink & white simply because it would get dirty too fast. Patients do eat & drink while undergoing chemo and stuff gets dropped onto the blankets; plus there is the problem of fluids/blood from an IV.

Other than that, I suggest bright, cheerful colors. Make any pattern you feel comfortable with but do make it extra long. My patients recline in a reclining chair and they need to be covered from their neck down to their toes (wrap around the feet). Chemo (actually any IV) makes patients chilly so these quilts/blankets are truly used and loved.

One last suggestion, make the backing from flannel so that it won't slip off your lap easily.

Good luck and I can guarantee that whatever you make, your friend will feel your love every time she uses the quilt.
you are so right, one of my daughters just finished her bout with kidney failure / dyailss 3 times per week, the nice warm blankets/quilts sure were a loving gift.