View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 09:33 AM
dmackey

You can also send quilts directly to a specific soldier. If you go to www.anysoldier.com, you can pick from your state, branch of service, or gender. You can also search for soldiers who are requesting warm bedding (I use blanket as the word to search). The site will give you the address of that soldier and you can make the gift much more personal that way. You can read about each soldier on that site, but I warn you, it is addicting.

I have a son who is an officer in the AF who has been deployed three times. I have sent three quilts. The last two, he gave away to someone before leaving so they could have it. He also requested a quilt be sent to a soldier who got very little mail. I know each of the receipients can feel the love in every stitch.

I think I have made over 2 thousand neck coolers too in the past 5 years! I always find inexpensive fabric to match the desert BDU and cut while I am babysitting the nephews, sew when I am home. I try to make two dozen a week.

I would agree with all of those who said to give local. I believe that most VA groups send packages to their local troops and I think getting a package from your home has a bit more love in it.

Diane