View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 04:50 PM
wvdek

I'm not complaining here, just letting ya'all know what happened at the JA's I visited recently in Bluefield, WV.
The clerk was a very nice young girl. Helpwas short, but she kept her cool and time helping each customer with their cuts.
However, as she was cutting the ladies fabric in front of me, she cut off the first 1/2" - 2 1/2" saying it was company policy to straighten the fabric before cutting the customers piece for them.
The lady was aghast as was I. As politely as I could, I stated that no matter how much she cut off, if the selvedge was not straight all the way across the whole bolt, the customer was still not going to get a straight cut of fabric. As sewers, we all know (I am assuming we do and you all know what that word means), that we straighten and square up our own fabric when we get it home before we cut it up. The clerk understood and I stated to her I did not want her 'straightening' my fabric as I would do it after I washed it and before I used it. She understood and left it the way it was. I told her as long as I am giving her permission, it was ok.
After I got it home, I washed, and then I went ahead and straightened and squared it up. I had to cut a piece from each end as was that went from 1/4" up to 1 1/2".
I took pics to show you the difference. Can you imagine if JA's has 100 cusotmers on an average day and each blot of fabric before teh piece is curt for the customer, how much is wasted by the company? Boggles my mind the higher ups and their thinking.

fabric cuts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268659[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268606.jpe