Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.
I stand right there and make sure it is exactly what I asked for before they cut. If I see the gal starting to snip, I stop her and ask her to check it again... politely saying.. "I really need a full yard for my project". Most of the cutters at the JoAnn's I go to are a little generous when they cut, going just a tad over the 36 inches.
The employees in my JoAnn's are generous - they measure thoughtfully, and then add an inch at no charge.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM

grayma what is the pattern for your picture? :?:
Old 09-29-2011, 05:03 PM

I would watch the employee who is cutting and make sure that you get what you are paying for.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:44 AM

Many years ago I frequented a local chain store and the lady who cut fabric said they had "secret" shopping happening all of the time on any goods that could be subject to inaccuracies on the part of an employee. She lived in fear it would be someone who shopped regularly. Appartently that had happened. Anyway the point is she (and everyone in the fabric department) did not give a 1/4" more. Sometimes you got home short because of using scissors and the fabric not being square.
With the economy as it is, many people are in fear for their jobs...others just don't know...then there are those who simply don't care.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:46 AM

I usually watch them as they cut and if I feel I might be shorted I question the fabric before I accept it. I have on occassion been shorted and they will recut.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 AM

I usually have pretty good service, but maybe I should pay a bit more attention!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:02 PM

I watch - correct as needed and and point out if one end is short so they measure from shortest side.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Recently bought at J's and on several of the pieces there was some leftover after what we wanted, like 1/4yard or and 8th when asked if we wanted it we said "OK". The employee then discounted the extra the same as the remnant prices. I thought that was pretty good idea.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Ed

Originally Posted by craftybear
I would call the store and talk to manager and complain!
Same here. :twisted:
Old 10-09-2011, 04:50 PM

I'm not complaining here, just letting ya'all know what happened at the JA's I visited recently in Bluefield, WV.
The clerk was a very nice young girl. Helpwas short, but she kept her cool and time helping each customer with their cuts.
However, as she was cutting the ladies fabric in front of me, she cut off the first 1/2" - 2 1/2" saying it was company policy to straighten the fabric before cutting the customers piece for them.
The lady was aghast as was I. As politely as I could, I stated that no matter how much she cut off, if the selvedge was not straight all the way across the whole bolt, the customer was still not going to get a straight cut of fabric. As sewers, we all know (I am assuming we do and you all know what that word means), that we straighten and square up our own fabric when we get it home before we cut it up. The clerk understood and I stated to her I did not want her 'straightening' my fabric as I would do it after I washed it and before I used it. She understood and left it the way it was. I told her as long as I am giving her permission, it was ok.
After I got it home, I washed, and then I went ahead and straightened and squared it up. I had to cut a piece from each end as was that went from 1/4" up to 1 1/2".
I took pics to show you the difference. Can you imagine if JA's has 100 cusotmers on an average day and each blot of fabric before teh piece is curt for the customer, how much is wasted by the company? Boggles my mind the higher ups and their thinking.

fabric cuts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268659[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268606.jpe