Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-24-2011, 10:20 PM

I always watch them cut fabric also. The last time I bought a lot of fabric at JoAnns they had the 50% off red label fabric I got about 10 kinds of fabric. One kind I only wanted 1/2 yard ($2 a yard), Instead of half a yard he charged me for 50 yards ($100), I caught it before going to checkout.But then, he messed up something else that I didn't catch until I got home, had to go back and have it fixed. You really have to watch everything.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Joann is a huge store, with fabric sales in the millions. If they shorted even a tiny percentage of their customers by an inch or two their annual sales would climb dramatically. This is only possible, because customers don't return unsatisfactory purchases. If enough fabric came back to the store and the company had to pay staff for listening to dissatified customers, writing refund tickets, and restocking merchandise when they could be racking up sales - things would change.
Use the gas to voice your discontent and let them know that online stores more convenient and have a much better customer service policy. A couple of times have gotten mixed orders from online stores and they sent the correct order and told me to keep the incorrect fabric.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Omaquilts
Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven
No, I was at a little store in Marion, OH. I love the bigger store in Mansfield but that is about 45 minutes away so I don't make a special trip for that store.
Sorry, the above post was in reply to QuiltingHaven. I'll try again...Have you been to Good Wives in Marion? I absolutely love that store and the ladies who own it. Wonderful Experience always!
No, I do not know about that store, what street is it on? Thank you!!!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I miss the old fabric meters. They used those to run the fabric through and the needle on the dial showed how much fabric was being measured. When they got to the 'magic number', they pressed down and the meter put a big clip in the edge of the fabric, which they could then continue cutting all the way across. Unless they cut really crooked, you got what you paid for.

What ever happened to those things?
I asked about those at a local fabric store and they told me that some materials stretch too much for them to be accurate and the customers were being short-changed, so out the window they went.
That makes sense... but they could use them in quilting shops. Their fabrics don't stretch.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:37 AM

I always buy 1/4 yd. more than I need at Joann's because they cut with scissors, not rotary cutters, so often cut less than they should AND at an angle. Very annoying! Now that their fabric costs as much as the LQS, I don't buy fabric there much. Just go for batting and rotary cutter blades with coupons. I also buy Mettler thread at Joann.com.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:05 AM

I miss the old fabric meters. They used those to run the fabric through and the needle on the dial showed how much fabric was being measured. When they got to the 'magic number', they pressed down and the meter put a big clip in the edge of the fabric, which they could then continue cutting all the way across. Unless they cut really crooked, you got what you paid for.

What ever happened to those things?
I asked about those at a local fabric store and they told me that some materials stretch too much for them to be accurate and the customers were being short-changed, so out the window they went.
That makes sense... but they could use them in quilting shops. Their fabrics don't stretch.
Or use them in JoAnns and other such fabric stores---for non stretch type fabrics. I for one do not purchase polar fleece and other stretchy fabrics (it's just too darn hot to use those types of fabrics here). So cottons, and home dec fabric would be perfect for using those meters.

Sibyl
Old 09-25-2011, 06:15 AM
gus

Let them know might save someone else from having that problem
Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 AM

Raising my hand. I live in Northeast Fl and I've had it happen. I would think if the employees who are at the cutting table would cut correctly. Go figure
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM

At my Joanns I have learned not to go at the "off" times - it is totally horrible to TRY get one of the two people working to check you out. For two spools of thread I really needed I waited almost 15 minutes for someone to show up. Went looking but couldn't find a soul. It was tempting to walk out without paying but I couldn't do that. Next time I am going to stand there and yell for someone to come!

Cutting of fabric: I agree that fabric should be cut accurately. But I don't expect to get "something for nothing" either. If I wanted an inch or two extra every time I would ask for that to be cut and would expect to pay for it. If a yard is needed and you know the fabric will shrink get a yard and 1/8. Businesses big and small run on something called "margins" and whatever they give away in one place they have to make it up somewhere else.

My LQS always cuts generously but their prices are high on everything so they make up for it somewhere. I admire the LQS owner here who cuts generously and expects increased sales and nothing else. Her margins must be outstanding!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I've had fabrics cut "short" at LQS also.

Like six out of eight pieces. It was only 1/8 to 1/4 inch short, but still - - - - It was $9.80/yard - at that price, I wanted every thread of it I was entitled to.

I like "extra" as much as the next person - but I won't complain if I "only" get what I asked for.

The associate was trying to stretch the fabric before cutting it.

I don't expect 2 ounces extra of hamburger for free when all I requested is one pound of the product.

In fairness to that shop, they did make up for the problem - BUT the store was 30 miles from my home and not on my usual routes.