Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-24-2011, 06:08 PM

I was having fabric cut at Jo's & the manager, who is in my Guild, told the woman to be real nice to me - she gave me about 2-3" extra fabric- Wonder if they normally shortcut??
Old 09-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Craftymatt2 - re: your "ruff and tuff" - I had a customer get "ruff and tuff" over a sale price and I walked away from her. We don't deserve to be insulted either. A word with the Mgr would have taken care of your concerns and an employee would be counseled. Any customer having a bad shopping experience needs to get a Mgr involved. Hope your next shopping trip goes better.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.
I've had to stop a gal from cutting once. She was short.

It's sad, but their cutters, and Hobby Lobby's too, seem less and less qualified!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 PM

Hey ladies, at least the people at Joann's and Hobby Lobby are working and not living on welfare. Like someone said, a smile and a pleasant tone of voice goes a lot further than a frown and nasty attitude, no matter where you shop whether it be a big box store or local lqs.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by myreda
I think your boss is full of hot air. I have not met the Joann's employee yet who thinks that they are a good employer. I have met a lot of people who used to work there that say Never Again.
As to the short cuts of fabric, the company is really strict with them on this point and it is good to watch closely what they are cutting especially it they are new. And they often are since there is a high turnover rate.
With so many people out of work why aren't people working in the stores nicer? I'm a happy person if I can get out to shop. I end up saying somtimes as I leave stores YOU WILL NOT RAIN ON MY PARADE TODAY! It works for me. I was told unemployment pays about $300-400 a week- why work and deal with cranky women?? LOL
Old 09-24-2011, 06:49 PM

I never shop at Joanne's as their fabric is not very good quality. I was an Assistant Mgr. for many years at Fabricland (before House of Fabrics stole it) and they never hired anyone who did not know how to sew. We were extensively trained in customer service. It has been a long time since I have come across the kind of service that we gave our customers. The ladies at Pacific Fabrics know how to sew however their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I was getting fabric cut one day when another customer asked where something was. The sales person actually pointed across the store and said, "It is over there". We would have been written up or fired for something like that.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:56 PM

recently bought some lovely flannel to make a quilt for one of my boys. did not watch as it was unrolled, and when i got home one piece was two pieces stitched together. Luckily the quilt I am making is fairly simple and I will be able to work around it. Will watch closer next time.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I'm always 1-2" short. I don't like that they use scissors. Even with the groove in the table, I feel like it's not as straight line accurate as a rotary cutter
I asked my JoAnns why they did not use rotary cutters--they said they had too much to cut to use one. Did not like that answer at all.

Sibyl
Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BSKTLOFR-QUILTER
I needed 3 yards of fabric but could not get a single cut so had to settle for 2 yards to finish the bolt, and the second had 1 yard and 2 inches. The cutter informed me that if I had to pay for the additional 2 inches or she would have to cut it off per Jo-Anns company policy. I told her to cut the 2 inches off but since I could not get the 3 yards all in one piece in the first place, it would be nice if she could just throw in the added 2 inches. She said she would have to cut it off or charge me so I told her to cut it off She quickly looked around and threw in the other 2 inches. I'm not a huge fan of Jo-Anns. When I purchase fabric from Hobby Lobby, they go the extra mile and give good customer service.
Hobby Lobby does give very good service. Usually they are very generous on their cuts. Seem pretty knowledgeable of what you are looking for.

Sibyl
Old 09-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Have you been to Good Wives in Marion, Ohio? I love that store and always hit it two or three times when I am home visiting my mother. Those ladies are awesome!