Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-24-2011, 02:11 PM

No, I was at a little store in Marion, OH. I love the bigger store in Mansfield but that is about 45 minutes away so I don't make a special trip for that store.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:00 PM

I usually watch when they measure. Management won't let them give anymore than expected and I want to get what I pay for.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:47 PM

I stand right there and watch very carefully while cutting and if I think I am getting short changed I say something.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:47 PM

I have noticed in the 2 Jo-Anns I have shopped at they DO NOt cut over-- even 1 inch. Quality control or inventory control ?????? Shop LQS's !!!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Yes. On my last trip to Joanne's which is 30 miles from my home, I asked for a yard of two fabrics. When I got home, I found that my fabric had the selvages cut off, all sides were fraying badly, and I had to cut so much off, it severely limited usable fabric. No room for mistakes. I didn't take it back because of the distance but believe me I now stand and watch them like a hawk. Lesson learned.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:57 PM

If the sign is up, the item is on sale. I've worked in retail for years and that's the rule no matter what the store.

Originally Posted by Greenheron
We had a Jo-Ann fabric an hour away at a mall. Below the mall was The Piece Goods shop--knowledgeable, helpful staff and 98% of the merchandise sewing-related. They closed. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The mall Jo-Ann's was 2/3 sewing related. Staff, mostly, snotty and inclined to gossiping with each other.
For example: I stopped one evening at a silk flower sale outside the door and picked a load for my students to use making Mothers' Day gifts. Their total was way over my total--I pointed out the difference and they said "Oh, that sale was over yesterday." I could have pushed it because of the sale sign on the display but I left the flowers and then I left. Who needs to deal with snippy sales people? They're gone now, too.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:01 PM

I needed 3 yards of fabric but could not get a single cut so had to settle for 2 yards to finish the bolt, and the second had 1 yard and 2 inches. The cutter informed me that if I had to pay for the additional 2 inches or she would have to cut it off per Jo-Anns company policy. I told her to cut the 2 inches off but since I could not get the 3 yards all in one piece in the first place, it would be nice if she could just throw in the added 2 inches. She said she would have to cut it off or charge me so I told her to cut it off She quickly looked around and threw in the other 2 inches. I'm not a huge fan of Jo-Anns. When I purchase fabric from Hobby Lobby, they go the extra mile and give good customer service.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:10 PM

I think your boss is full of hot air. I have not met the Joann's employee yet who thinks that they are a good employer. I have met a lot of people who used to work there that say Never Again.
As to the short cuts of fabric, the company is really strict with them on this point and it is good to watch closely what they are cutting especially it they are new. And they often are since there is a high turnover rate.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:17 PM

Yep, worked there, as an assistant manager...you pinch..you aren't supposed to go a thread over...makes me laugh to think about it...inventory...we didn't measure...we counted folds on the bolt and estimated..duh!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:39 PM

I rarely shop at JoAnn's any longer because of inferior fabric quality. There is also a well known quilt shop in an upscale neighborhood that I like, HOWEVER, last time i purchased fabric there, the cuts were crooked and 1-2" short. Because they were crooked, I lost even more yardage. Moral of the story - no matter where you go - watch like a hawk!