Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 AM

I watch very closely and if I think it may be a little short I ask them to measure again before they cut. Sometimes they are more careful if they know they are being watched!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:37 AM

this is a good thread. Newbies like me wouldn't know what to watch for. It would be nice if they hire people who know what to do. My Joann's seems pretty good, they give me what's left of extra yard for example.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 AM

everytime i get material cut i stand there and watch !!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
I'll have to pay closer attention from now on!
Same here.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 AM

You can not TRUST anyone! It seems everyone is after the almighty dollar. And IT isn't worth much anymore. When I have to shop I feel as if I am going to battle. Bait and switch, short cutting yardage, not as advertised; the list goes on............ :twisted: :hunf: :thumbdown: :-(
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Yes, I bought grey fleece for backing on the OSU quilt I made and when I got the top completed, found that I was 5 inches short on the fleece. I loaded up the fleece, my receipt (never through any receipt away - in a plastic container in my quilt room) and lugged the piece bag to the store. They were very apologetic and replace the material after they measured it and found that yes, it was short (according to the receipt) luckily I only live 10 minutes away.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.
I have never been shorted-but a few times, if there are a couple of extra inches onthe bolt, they just give it to me. I say something like oh, that last couple of inches isn't really good for anything-it's crooked and will have to be cut off and lost, anyway. The staff at the 2 Joann's I go to, for the most part, are really nice. I think it also helps for you to be over-friendly and smile, as that seems to soften them. Anyway, I am lucky. But, I also watch each measurement and even comment so they know I am watching, but not so they think I am not trusting them. I would keep a close watch and remember which employee shorted you, and report it to the manager of the store-in a nice way-like they just made a mistake. I don't like to make waves unless necessary, as I still would want a pleasant shopping experience everytime I go.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by tabberone
I've seen that at JoAnn's more then any other fabric store.

Also if you are buying an unopened bolt make them unwrap and measure it. More times then not a bolt marked 12 yds will only have 11.5 or 11.75 yards on it.
This is good advice, but in THIS case, if it were short, it is the fault of the mfg, not Joann's, but it should be brought to the manager's attention. I would also note the details on the end of the bolt, and report it to their corporate office.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 AM
mac

I've been quilting for over thirty years, way before they had lqs. In the beginning I would always wash my fabrics, fold them and put them away. When I would finally get around to using them and needed a FULL yard of fabric, I would notice that the fabric would only be about 33-34" long. At first I thought it was because I had washed the fabric. One day I had a pile of fabric from Joanne's that I didn't wash and decided to use it without washing it. My fabrics were only 34.4" to 35" long. I was really upset about it, but there was nothing I could do because I had had it way too long to take it back.

I started watching them quite closely and there were a number of ways they can short you without them realizing it. If I think that their fabric is short I will measure it out right in front of them. This is a subtle way of letting them know that I am watching them. If they make a comment about me measuring the fabric, I tell them the truth, that often times my fabric doesn't measure a full yard when I get it home.

At my Joanne's the clerks hold the fabric firmly when they measure. I asked several different clerks about this and they say that that is the way they are taught to measure fabric. Fabric like polar fleece and stretchy materials I always measure before I leave the counter. This saves me a trip back to the store.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Yep, and that's why I don't shop at JoAnn's. One thing they do consistently is measure from the long edge of an unevenly cut bolt, so you ultimately get less than your yard. I always asked them to square up the edge, or measure from the short side. It irks them, but that's what I pay them for. Once burned....