Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 AM

I've asked them to square up when the leading edge is really wonky. They usually act like I've asked them to perform a horrible action. They do it but then... the attitude upsets me.

At my LQS if you're standing there, the clerk will look up and confirm the cut with you. I.e., Ma'am you did ask for 2 yards of this?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.
I watch them measure like a hawk and I don't hesitate to ask for a "generous yard." I also don't hesitate to ask them to remeasure if they are talking and not paying attention. I almost got 1 1/2 yards instead of the 2 1/2 yards I had asked for. I point it out when the yardage for the previous customer was cut crookedly and make them pull the fabric over so that I don't get short changed. It's your yardage and you are paying for it. If they can't do their job properly, tell them what to do and don't feel bad about it.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:33 AM

no I always watch the cutting, usually they give a little more as they are straightening it up, which is a good thing, because when you wash it it shrinks and it also goes back to the straight grain, my rule is to add about 5 inches for these 2 things to end up with what I need.
works so far.:)
Old 09-24-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
Originally Posted by FERSID
Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.
When I sell fabric, my policy for measurement is based on the following:

I add 1 - 1 1/2 inches extra to the first measurement.

So if the customer has asked for 3 yards, I measure 3 yards + (plus) 1 - 1 1/2 inches extra BEFORE I cut.

This method of measuring takes into account the fabric may not be or is generally NOT cut straight therefore, it may measure as 3 yards at the selvage, but in actuality, measure less in the inside centre.

Make sense? I've NEVER had a customer complain - only comment they received more than what they asked for.
Does your employer agree to this policy? How do they adjust the inventory?
I AM the employer. Even still, the markup on fabric is such that the loss of 15 - 22 1/2 inches from a standard 15 yard bolt is neglible.

Worth more to keep a happy RETURNING customer than to lose one - or MORE when word-of-mouth travels and you become known as the "jip shop".

This QB is a prime example of word getting around.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 09-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Crafty Bear - call the store and complain - loudly. Well not too loudly, I did that once in a car dealership and every time we came back in the service manager would see me and go the other way, but he would talk to my husband who thought it was funny.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 AM

I too watch them like hawks, they need to pay better attention to what they are doing, our time is our money. I had a gal one time so busy talking to another about her date last nite and not paying attention to what she was doing that my one yard pieces were quarter yard pieces, and i had a lot, i didn't say anything until she was done, then i asked her,"how much did i say i wanted" she said a quater of a yard and i said "no i didn't" i wanted a yard, she cut the same exact amount her fellow employee was cutting for her customer.
I told her i want someone else to cut the fabric over and not her, i said it loud enough that everyone standing around the counter had heard what i said. And she said all she had to do was cut 3/4 of each and she would be done and i yelled and said ABSOLUTELY NOT. She got the message and so did the manager.
You need to get ruff and tuff with them
Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 AM

No longer buy fabric at our local Joanns. They cut short and couldn't care less if is off grain and wonky. If you say anything there is a major attitude problem with the sales help. Worth the couple of extra dollars per yard at the local LQS where they know sewing. You would think upper managment would care as lost customers affects profits.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 AM

Tell the local manager and email the headquarter. You may get a better response
Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 AM

As a former Jo-Ann manager, don't cut your fabric, but call the manager explain the situation, and take it back. Make sure you get the correct amount.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 AM

I've seen that at JoAnn's more then any other fabric store.

Also if you are buying an unopened bolt make them unwrap and measure it. More times then not a bolt marked 12 yds will only have 11.5 or 11.75 yards on it.