Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-24-2011, 06:54 AM

Here's another complaint about JoAnn's. I just replied to another topic. Keep eyes open I guess.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:18 AM

I usually watch as they cut. But, the last time I was there, the guy measured 1 yard and 1 inch, did he give me the extra inch for free?? NO! Was the extra inch the last of the bolt, YES! Needless to say, I don't go there much anymore for fabric or anything that needs cutting. I just buy thread and notions on sale.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by luvstitches
I used to work there and they made us pinch the fabric so the customer didn't get 1/16th of an inch more.
Yes,you watch them and count with them.
I've noticed that "pinch" at our store, too. If they're unsure of how many yds. they measured, they measure again. I do watch though.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 AM

I have, and when I brought fabric again from J's I watch the clerk cut my fabric crooked and I refused the fabric. I had the clerk cut me another piece the correct way. Then I went and brought both pieces of fabric.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:26 AM

I just bought fabric at Jo-Anns the other day. It is still in the bag. I'll have to measure it and see I was buying costume fabric so I was just estimating what I would need. When I buy fabric for a quilt I almost always buy more that I need just to be sure I have enough to do what I want to do. I'm always changing my plan for the fabric
Old 09-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
I'll have to pay closer attention from now on!
And carry a measuring tape, to prevent 'accidental' shortages.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 AM

This is such a sore spot with me. The local JoAnn's here has been hiring young guys for a couple years now. I find they are better at giving you the full measure BUT.....someone needs to know how to train ALL their employees how to cut different mediums. This goes for Hancock's Fabrics as well (not to be confused with Hancock's of Paducah). Can't count how many times I've stopped someone with their scissors ready from cutting plaids and panels. One lady even cut a panel as it was folded for the woman in front of me. It was a complete waste. Plaids should be measured so that you will get the full yardage on the shorter side of the cut. The store will lose the amount of fabric on the longer cut according to how warped it is when the bolt was wrapped. Plaids are cut on the line, single thickness. And burlap? I doubt if even the store manager knows how to snip and pull a cord.

Keep your eyes on Walmart also and any place that hires people who can fill out an employment form or pages someone from sporting goods to cut fabric. Many of them are unaware that the position of the fingers/thumb they are using against the measuring line can make a difference of up to an inch per yard. Independent fabric stores and quilt shops tend to hire people who know about what they sell and I've rarely had a problem in those types of stores.

We're the only ones who are going to prevent wasting our own money.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:48 AM

The people in my JoAnn's are always nice, but so are most of the people in this town. And I'm not biased, because I've only lived here 3 years. I always get a full yard and usually a tad over. They always look at the last cut and make sure the yard is marked so it's a full yard all the way across. Most of them even look for flaws and ask if I want the flawed area with a discount or if I want a different cut. They also offer end of bolt discounts when appropriate. There are some younger college kids that are not as knowledgeable, but in general I'm quite happy shopping there.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:18 AM

I always watch and also make sure the cut isn't crooked. If it is I make them flip it over and measure the other side. I have made them do a recut when it is short.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 AM

I would usually stand there and make sure they cut the right amount, but I'm such a regular there that the ladies mostly give me an extra 2-3 inches anyway. They get so involved talking with me about my projects, they often ask me to return to the store to show them the finished piece. They are lovely people to do business with.