Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 AM

I REALLY don't like shopping at J's (or any other large chain store) for fabric. Partcularly at J's, they usualy hire people who don't sew. They are not aware that if the fabric fold is not on a straight line, they will be cutting crooked, even in the scissor groove. When I nicely ask them to be sure that the fold is on the straight line, they get an attitude. I also don't like the quality of most of their fabrics anymore. I know that the LQS is pricier, but I get better fabric, I KNOW that they know how to cut, I can actually ask quesions and get them answered and I'm suporting local business. Most employees at the big chains act like they are serving a prison sentence and you are only there to make sure that they suffer. Bad service and bad fabric = no patronage from me. I don't need to pay for the privilege of being treated badly, shorted on bad quality fabric and being scammed on their so-called "coupon deals".
Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 AM

Waste of gas or not, go back there. Short-changed like that is the same as stealing. It could be an honest mistake and an opportunity for further training on the companies part. If it happens again, I would write corporate a well documented letter with names and dates.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by FERSID
Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.
When I sell fabric, my policy for measurement is based on the following:

I add 1 - 1 1/2 inches extra to the first measurement.

So if the customer has asked for 3 yards, I measure 3 yards + (plus) 1 - 1 1/2 inches extra BEFORE I cut.

This method of measuring takes into account the fabric may not be or is generally NOT cut straight therefore, it may measure as 3 yards at the selvage, but in actuality, measure less in the inside centre.

Make sense? I've NEVER had a customer complain - only comment they received more than what they asked for.
Does your employer agree to this policy? How do they adjust the inventory?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.
I used to work at a Joanns about 10 years ago. One thing we were warned about early on was to cut PRECISELY on the line for correct yardage, no more, no less. They said if everyone got 1" over the correct measurement the store would lose a yard of fabric for every 36 customers. That would amount to quite a lot of money each day. So if you count shrinkage when washing, fabric being crooked from all the sizing, you should get 1/4 yard extra each time you get fabric from Joanns. That is why I rarely get fabric there.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:58 AM

what annoys me is that they measure right to the yard mark but sometimes the piece previously cut was not cut straight and when the folded edge is at 1 yard, the other end could not be.

I have asked them to move it or trim it straight.

Rather them give you that smidgen of fabric, they trim it and throw the smidgen away.......

the one cutter in the LQS uses the thumb method.....a thumb's measure for shrinkage..........now that's a quilter at heart!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:00 AM

I always watch to make sure it's cut in the amount I asked for and that if it's been previously cut wrong/on a slant, that they take that into account. I don't mind my fabric being cut exactly on the nose but will not accept it being short cut for whatever reason.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 AM

I agree with this fact most of the time the girls do their best and a tad more sometimes. It pays to watch close.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:20 AM

I have complain to the to HQ and I get no responds from them. So its like spitting in the wind!!! they don't care and the next closes joann's is 2 hrs. away. I think we should boycott them until someone responds.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Not only do you have to micro watch them-I went to one where the woman did not know to cut a panel.She argued with me that it was by the yard and a "real quilter" would use the excess for scrap quilts. I had to buy an extra 1/4 yd to get a full panel! Not a happy camper that day!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:29 AM

I have been shorted as well. I needed 1 yard cuts of their Kona which I had coupons for. When I got home I was preparing to cut when I noticed I was short 1 1/2" on every piece Grrrrrrr! The next time I was at the store I mentioned it to the manager and she said they had just hired new people, no excuse though and she would make sure scissors were sharp and the measurements were more accurate. Nothing suggested to make it right!! But it doesn't only happen at Joann's!!

Kathi in PA