Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-24-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven
No, I was at a little store in Marion, OH. I love the bigger store in Mansfield but that is about 45 minutes away so I don't make a special trip for that store.
Sorry, the above post was in reply to QuiltingHaven. I'll try again...Have you been to Good Wives in Marion? I absolutely love that store and the ladies who own it. Wonderful Experience always!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM

/
Old 09-24-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
I never shop at Joanne's as their fabric is not very good quality. I was an Assistant Mgr. for many years at Fabricland (before House of Fabrics stole it) and they never hired anyone who did not know how to sew. We were extensively trained in customer service. It has been a long time since I have come across the kind of service that we gave our customers. The ladies at Pacific Fabrics know how to sew however their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I was getting fabric cut one day when another customer asked where something was. The sales person actually pointed across the store and said, "It is over there". We would have been written up or fired for something like that.
Just today I was "grieving" as I drove past the former Fabricland in Citrus Heights CA. What great fabric they had, and their employees! So knowledgeable, so enthusiastic, what great members of the sewing community. I truly miss that store.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

I miss the old fabric meters. They used those to run the fabric through and the needle on the dial showed how much fabric was being measured. When they got to the 'magic number', they pressed down and the meter put a big clip in the edge of the fabric, which they could then continue cutting all the way across. Unless they cut really crooked, you got what you paid for.

What ever happened to those things?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I miss the old fabric meters. They used those to run the fabric through and the needle on the dial showed how much fabric was being measured. When they got to the 'magic number', they pressed down and the meter put a big clip in the edge of the fabric, which they could then continue cutting all the way across. Unless they cut really crooked, you got what you paid for.

What ever happened to those things?
I asked about those at a local fabric store and they told me that some materials stretch too much for them to be accurate and the customers were being short-changed, so out the window they went.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM

There is a new Jo-Ann's in my area. They use the number system for cutting fabric. No one was around and I walked up to the cutting table and asked if I needed a number. The young girl paused and then asked if I would pull one. These people are trying hard to please the customer and the company. Their fabric is not the best but it is more affordable than the LQS who are unable to buy in large quanities. I prefer the fabric from the LQS but $10 per yard is more than I want to spend.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:36 PM

We've got two stores in town, and I only go to the closer one when they've got something I really need. Sorry to say that my reason is that the employees there are most unfriendly and always seem to look like they're really unhappy to be there. I prefer Hancocks and Walmart's fabric dept. employees, they are nice, they're helpful and they do their cuttings properly.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 PM

Well, can't believe it, but I went back to Joann's again today (that additional 15% off everything plus all the coupons that expired today made me do it!!) Anyway, I bought several pieces of flannel for another rag quilt, and another lovely Asian fabric for my "someday" Asian quilt! I watched carefully, and each cut was at least 36", and since there was one bolt that was a few inches short of the 2 yards I wanted, she offered to give me that last 33" half-price. I re-measured when I got home, and each piece was between 1/2"-1 1/2" more than a yard. She even took the time to look on the computer for another fabric I wanted that I saw on-line but they didn't have enough in that store. Very nice and pleasant experience. Since I still had some un-used coupons, and it was the last day for them, I offered them to anyone at the cutting table who could use them. She also gave some good advise to a lady wanting to make curtains, and genuinely seemed happy to help us. So, I don't have a complaint about my Joann's! I always find them friendly and helpful.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 PM

Im happy to report my experiences at JoAnn's have mostly been good, and have never been shorted on yardage. If the bolt is near the end I'll usually ask how much is left before deciding how much to buy; if there's say 1 3/4 yards, I might request 1 yd, and ask for the still-attached remnant too, which is half off. On my last visit the young lady at the cut table told me that the last 1 1/2 yd of a bolt is always half off, so I paid only 25% for that whole piece because it was on sale at 50% off, then half off that!

I AM very careful of fabric quality, since some of their stuff is very nice and some is junk. My closest LQS is between home and JoAnn's, so I try to stop there first and check out the sale racks, where I've found some beautiful stuff for $4.50-5.00 yard.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:20 PM

I always watch them cut fabric also. The last time I bought a lot of fabric at JoAnns they had the 50% off red label fabric I got about 10 kinds of fabric. One kind I only wanted 1/2 yard ($2 a yard), Instead of half a yard he charged me for 50 yards ($100), I caught it before going to checkout.But then, he messed up something else that I didn't catch until I got home, had to go back and have it fixed. You really have to watch everything.