Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Johanna Fritz

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Plus, I'm fanatical about cleaning my machines and oiling them.
Take care with new machines. Some are not meant for you to oil externally (where you can reach). There is an area deeper in the machine that gets oiled. Putting oil in the "traditional" places can actually mess up the newest machines.

As for price, my machine is about $100 for a full timing check and cleaning, which I do every 2 years. I know computerized machines are more, which mine is only "partially" (Viking Designer - original - with slip in D Cards)
My machine runs SO MUCH better after such a check up. Considering the $$ invested, I consider it money well spent, IMHO. You don't buy expensive, computerized machinery of any kind and not expect any maintenance to keep it in its best running shape.

Bottom line, I always call ahead and shop around. Make sure you know if you are only getting a clean and oil check up or are they taking extra time to check the timing, etc. Find out what they are checking, how long it generally takes, and you should be able to figure out a ball park hourly rate.