Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Mad Mimm

I would also say I am a hybrid in the sense that sometimes I like to work on shorter projects (Placemats, table runners, baby quilts) so I can have that sense of accomplishment that comes with a finished project. That being said, I am a VERY SLOW quilter. I don't quilt that often and it takes me a while to blow the dust off my skills and re-engage them after long stints away from my sewing room. I am currently trying to get over that habit, and replacing TV time with quilting time.

I do enjoy the process - there is something special in the evolution of a quilt from pattern to finish that I really cherish. But there are also times when I don't want to be too challenged. Sometimes I get bogged down by my own perfectionist tendencies so it is nice to have a "no-brainer" project to unwind with. It gets me back in touch with that enjoyment and process that inspires me in the first place. That is when I turn to "quick" quilts. Simple strip piecing, block patterns, etc., are perfect for blowing off the dust, winding down after or in between working on a really challenging quilt, or helping to overcome a quilting block on another project.

I do not rush though. I am simply not capable of rushing. I have been quilting for 4 years and have barely gone beyond basic piecing techniques because I labor over the process and nitpick my work to death. That being said, I LOVE the process and find it very liberating!