Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Murphy

I use a basic sewing machine. I also already owned a totally adequate iron.

When I started I purchased a rotary cutter, ruler for straight edge (this was a large ruler-$35.00), self healing cutting mat, light gray (or other neutral color) Gutterman thread (I like this thread), quilt pins and the fabric required for my first project (a rail fence pattern made for a toddler). Many of the accessories items can be purchased using 40-50 percent off coupons from Joanns. I do purchase good quality fabric at my local quilt shop.

Originally Posted by PuffinGin
As I scan through posts, I see the many of supplies, tools, gadgets, and materials that are needed in making quilts. Some are necessary, or mostly so, some probably not. I'd like to hear from you about how much you think it costs to get started quilting as it is currently done. I'd like you to think about what would you consider your 'necessaries' and your 'desirables' for quilting and provide a starting cost as you see it. To level things out a bit, let's assume you have a sewing machine you think is adequate to use for starting to make a quilt top. Let's also not include a machine for doing free-motion quilting. Just the basics.

How much would you estimate you'd spend if you wanted to try making a first quilt and didn't have anything other than a basic sewing machine?