Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wanted:  Your estimate on getting started quilting >

Wanted: Your estimate on getting started quilting

Wanted: Your estimate on getting started quilting

Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Power Poster

Make sure you go to JoAnn fabrics when there Quilting Notions are on sale. Or use their coupons.

Necessary are rotary cutter, mat and 24 x 6 1/2" ruler. All these go on sale for half off often or use the coupons. Sign up on the internet for their sales flyer. Get the flyer in the store and usually there is a 50% coupon inside the front cover. Get a decent sized cutting mat at least 24" long so the whole of the width of the fabric can be on it.

Don't collect specialty rulers until you actually want them for a project. A 12" square up ruler would be your next purchase.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by PuffinGin
As I scan through posts, I see the many of supplies, tools, gadgets, and materials that are needed in making quilts. Some are necessary, or mostly so, some probably not. I'd like to hear from you about how much you think it costs to get started quilting as it is currently done. I'd like you to think about what would you consider your 'necessaries' and your 'desirables' for quilting and provide a starting cost as you see it. To level things out a bit, let's assume you have a sewing machine you think is adequate to use for starting to make a quilt top. Let's also not include a machine for doing free-motion quilting. Just the basics.

How much would you estimate you'd spend if you wanted to try making a first quilt and didn't have anything other than a basic sewing machine?
Well, I'm teaching myself to quilt again after a 30+ year hiatus. I do have a perfectly nice Janome but prefer to do it all by hand.

So far, my biggest investment has been two thimbles from Thimblelady, one cone finger thimble and one thumb thimble. I got the first one years ago, so I'm guessing at a total cost of maybe $220.

I got Liuxin Newman's (Thimblelady) book and DVD, _Perfect Hand Quilting Without Pain_. Another $30 or so.

Needles (from Thimblelady... can you tell I'm a fan?) and YLI thread (from Red Rock Thread), another $30.

Inexpensive fabric and polyester batting from Connecting Threads for practise quilt sandwiches, less than $40.

Q-Snap quilting frame, around $20.

For my first non-practise project, a pre-printed wholecloth wall hanging by Holice Turnbow, $45.

So around $385 or so. I already had common notions like basting thread, pins, a pin cushion, seam ripper, shears, and tailor's chalk, which would probably add another $75-100 ($60 of that or so for good shears).

Not the cheapest hobby I've ever taken up but not terribly expensive either, considering that the vast majority of the expenditures were for one time purchases.

Not all of it needs to be bought at once.Thimblelady sells plastic cone thimbles for $15, which will last for one or two quilts. Being able to use my thumb to quilt away from myself is a convenience but not a necessity. If you find you like her cone thimble, she also sells it in stainless steel, for half the cost of the sterling silver one (I got the sterling silver one before she offered the stainless steel version).

I have already gotten a floor stand because I have fibromyalgia and found that the lap frame made my arms tire out faster. My Hero (also known as my husband) bought me a Grace Hoop Squared as a gift. I think it's around $230 but since it was a gift, I just told him what I wanted and he did the research and bought the frame.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 AM

I would say $100 to $200, depending on what sales you can find. If you're already a sewer and just moving into quilting, then your biggest expense will be buying a rotary ruler (I'd start with a 6 1/2" or 6" x 24"), a cutting mat (18" x 24" is good) and a rotary cutter (the 45mm size). Joann's has a combo pack with these in it that's probably $20 or $30 on sale or with a coupon. As a prior sewer, you would already have a machine and general sewing supplies - marking pens, seam ripper, scissors, pins. You may also want to buy a walking foot, which helps greatly with straight-line quilting and attaching the binding. These run $30 to $80 or more depending on your machine. So a prior sewer transitioning to quilting would be out $50 to $100 not counting project specific supplies (fabric, pattern, thread, batting)

A brand new sewer starting from scratch needs the rotary cutting kit and walking foot recommended above, a sewing machine, and basic sewing supplies. If you watch thrift store/yard sales, you can pick up a great used machine for under $30 or a basic machine new runs around $100. By shopping sales and/or using Joann's coupons, you can get general sewing supplies (seam ripper, scissors, pins, marking tools, etc.) for probably less than $20. So a brand new sewer would be out $100 to $220, not counting project-specific supplies. This would be a machine & walking foot, rotary kit, and general sewing supplies.

Project specific supplies vary based on what your going to do. At the very least, you need fabric for the front, fabric for the backing, batting, thread, and a pattern. Patterns can be found for free online. If you already sew, you've got thread you can use, if not, you can get basic thread for just a couple of dollars (I use the Coats & Clark stuff). Depending on where you shop, fabric can be as low as $3/yard (using coupons/sales) or more than $10/yard. Let's say you're doing a baby/child's quilt about 40" x 50" - you'll need about 4 to 4 1/2 yards fabric for front, back, and binding, plus a crib size batting. Shopping at Joann's (sales/coupons), fabric & batting will cost you about $20 to $25.

So if a brand new sewer, you're looking at $120 to $245 to purchase your supplies and complete your first project (a 40" x 50" child's quilt). A sewer transitioning to quilting would be out $70 to $125 to do her first quilt.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Quilting turns into a very expensive addiction.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
Fabric $???
Rotary cutter/mat/ruler kit $30 when on sale at Joann's
seam ripper $2
scissors $10
thread $10
Pattern free on internet $0
Batting $10-$40 (depends on what you want to use)

This is what most of us start with. You get more as you go along, but most don't start with all the goodies.
joy of quilting: priceless
Right on, Sista
:D
Old 10-14-2011, 07:51 AM

Think about what our mothers and grandmothers had...A needle, thread, fabric and scissors.....You can start this 'hobby' with very little money and just build as you go, you do not HAVE to spend an entire paycheck at the beginning.....That is one thing that was so wonderful about having close relatives, you went over to Moms, or an Aunt or a Grandmother....to learn a craft and/or borrow supplies... we are all sisters here to share our talent and goodies
Old 10-15-2011, 05:33 AM

Just a point...WalMart is putting sewing and fabric departments back in most of their stores due to pressure from sites such as this, Twitter and Facebook. Go Internet. The WalMart near me has the basics in a kit at a very reasonable price. If you know someone who quilts, buy them lunch, take them along and get the guidance. I had my DMIL, rest her soul now, so I was lucky. Inherited more than I would have ever bought for myself.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:47 AM

joy of quilting: priceless[/quote]

Yep! Agree.

If you can make do with what you already have, then besides fabric and batting, not much. If however you don't want to loose interest because if you are like most folks and want some type of instant gratification, the 'sky's the limit' according to your budget.

Be a savvy shopper, sales are good, you don't need all the gadgets, choose your projects carefully, don't hoard fabric, you buy what you can afford and what you have room for, and then consider the cost of therapy and drugs to keep you sane if you don't have quilting or some other hobby, PRICELESS.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 AM

6"x24" Ruler
12" Square Up Ruler
6" Square
These rulers all have markings that let you measure all the different shapes needed as a beginner. (you can pick up all the specialty rulers later)
Good scissors
A small pair next to your machine for clipping threads and a large "good" pair for other cutting tasks.
Rotary Cutter
Large one for cutting large strips and a small one for corners.
24"x36" Cutting Mat

There are many brands available, I prefer Olfa rulers and mats because the yellow markings and the green mat are easier on these tired old eyes.
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, come back often and don't forget to show pictures as you progress. You'll be great.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:39 AM

I see most have covered the basics, the only thing that's up in the air is fabric. The cost of this depends on how much you are ok with spending. JoAnn's has decent fabric that you can use 40-50% off coupons for.

When purchasing fabric, I need to touch it. Some fabric, even the $10/yard at the LQS (local quilt shops) may feel thin. Some fabrics are sturdier. The thinner material will breakdown quicker than the thicker.

You may want to chose your fabric depending on what will be done with the finished product. Will it be dragged on the ground by a toddler? Will it hang on a wall? Good luck and enjoy the art of quilting!